Counterfeit Factory 6mm Rem?

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by stonecreek, Jun 4, 2021.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902570732

There are no factory records or even anecdotal tales of Sako producing a rifle stamped "6mm Remington", but here is one being offered, and in the Deluxe version.

The six-digit serial number on the action (which is a very late L579 with the A-II shrouded bolt) indicates the late run of L579's in the late 1970's before the changeover to the A-II designation. All of the Sakos chambered for this cartridge, so far as we know, were labeled ".244 Rem" and were from the late 1950's into the early 1960's prior to Remington changing the name of the cartridge and quickening its standard twist.

The stock configuration of the rifle is the high, sharp comb version of the early A-series, which would be consistent with the rifle's serial number in the 300,000's. But, looking at the caliber stamp, I believe that it is an attempt at making a barrel stamp that closely mimics a factory Sako barrel stamp. However, the font is not just right and the stamping is further forward of the receiver ring than the factory stampings.

It is my belief that someone went to a lot of trouble to make a Deluxe Sako which appears factory in a caliber which the factory has never been known to have chambered. However, there are some one-off Sakos floating around and we "never say 'never' with Sako".

Would be interested in the opinions of others.

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Hard to tell from the pics but does seem to have "Made in Finland" stamped in the correct spot on the barrel. Never say never. Would be strange though.
    Funny he "shaded" out the last two digits on the serial number but then showed the bolt. Maybe he is not that familiar with the Sako and is trying something.

mlesh likes this.
  3. Wayne

Wayne Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    I agree with the above and the top of the barrel markings just appear 'fat'
    not as well defined as factory Sako markings. Wayne

4. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Agree stamping looks funny plus caliber a little far forward

5. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I've seen several Sakos in that serial number range that had the caliber stamping that far ahead of the receiver. The 6mm stamp is the only thing that seems out of place to me.

6. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    IMO, factory rifle. Super late L579 probably built in the late '70s. Font thickness has gotten bolder over the years, and there are at least three different places where caliber stampings showed up. I checked a couple of AIIs that I have and they were consistent with what the picture(s) showed. I bid on the rifle a bit but stopped at $2500 after grounding myself at pledging to focus on rare pre-'72/pre-Garcia rifles, so the auction winner probably got a good deal as the metal looked to be in really nice shape and 6mm!!. I need another Sako and another 6mm rifle like I need another donut. "NEVER SAY NEVER!" This one a prime example, Gents.

DeerGoose

stonecreek and deersako like this.
  7. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks for that analysis, Deergoose. The rifle may very well be a one-off. Duplicating the factory markings of a Sako barrel would be a tough task, I would think. It is probably genuine as you believe, but if not the one place it might have originated would be from our friend in Montana, the "father".

I'd love to examine that rifle in the flesh, but I suspect that the new owner will put it deep inside a safe, rarely to see the light of day again. It would be informative to know if the twist is the 1-9" designated for the 6mm, and check for an import marking.

deergoose likes this.
  8. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    I dug up some pics showing different SAKO font thickness and postioning. Early L579 dlx .308, AII dlx .308 and an L579 .22-250 (model 74) showing forward positioning of the caliber stamp. Love looking at all the nitty gritty details!

DeerGoose

IMG_1582.JPG SakoAIIdlx.308_3.JPG

Attached Files:

Rocky and marlin92 like this.
  9. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The rifle in question is now for sale on GI by the Angry one for a sizable amount about the $2600 it was purchased for a few days ago. The new photos are much better and shows what appears to be typical Sako fonts. Stone was correct, while it is for sale probably will be in his safe for a long time.

10. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Well, $1,600 is a fair mark-up, right? But I doubt that a serious collector would let such a truly rare -- one of a kind, in fact -- rifle go so quickly unless he came to believe it was not genuine, now would he?

Interestingly, no seller has yet shown the underside of the barrel where the import mark should be. It would be a late 1970's gun (L579 receiver with AII-type bolt shroud and A-series high comb stock) and would therefore require an import stamp when it came into the U.S. Should say Stoeger unless imported other than by the bona fide importer.

I'm still bothered by how far in front of the receiver ring the caliber marking appears. It is true that late models had the caliber marking further forward, but I've never seen one that far forward.

However, we never say "Never" when it comes to Sako. I won't attempt to pass judgement on it without examining it in person. But I will say that if I had confidence that it was genuine it would have sold for a lot more on Gunbroker because I would have been bidding.

sakojim likes this.
  11. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I
    It has the Stoeger import stamp on bottom of barrel. I just double checked the photos to be sure.

deergoose likes this.
  12. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It didn't show in the photos on GI. Was it shown on Gunbroker?

. . . . Yeah, it is, I just looked again. Sure looks genuine.

13. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Just noticed that this one sold .. again! The Angry Dude finds a nut!
    Won’t be surprised to see this one go up again...sooner or later

Hippie

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021