Rear Sight Correct Williams Rear Sight

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by rman, Mar 4, 2020.

1. rman

rman Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Hello! Does anyone know the part number of the correct Williams rear sight that came on the earlier Handy rifles?
    Also, were the later "standard" AV sights the same as the ones on the 600,000 ish SN Handy rifles?

Just checking out a couple of options, and want to make sure things are right.

Thanks!

R.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I've talked to Williams on this subject. They have no records of which of their sights were used on which rifles; however, if you will give them the diameter of the barrel at the sight location along with the distance between the mounting holes and the height of the front sight, then they can find the right rear sight for you.

FLT likes this.
  3. rman

rman Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    That is great info! Thank you!
    R.

4. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Howdy Rman,
    I'm a big fan of the carbines and the Handy rifles (although I don't own one, someday.) I could never understand why Sako outsourced those rear sights to Williams. They look like heck, like it was Bubba-fied in my opinion. I just bought a model 78, OEM Factory and yes it has the Williams rear sight(much to my chagrin) but that's how they came so I/ we have to suck it up. I recently bought a couple of a-series guns from a chap here on the boards that were missing the rear sights. These were the late Model A series sights that were also used on the X91's, 75's, and still used on the model 85 guns. These are far and away the most attractive design imho. In between the Williams and this latter design, was a trapezoidal, blocky design that had knurling on the surfaces. I have a few rifles with this version. I think it really boils down to I don't like Williams being stamped on the rear sight on my Sako Rifle! Okay after all my diatribe, what I'm getting at is maybe you can find later versions to see if they would fit. Although the latest version only mounts with a single screw, they are available from brownell's.