Considering my first Sako - Help ID?

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by Kyle Becker, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Kyle Becker

Kyle Becker Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Never have seen this forum. Always wanted a Sako, but was determined I wouldn't get one until I could afford to shoot a higher caliber.

I've seen this Sako on auction, and it may sneak in under value. But I can't tell what the heck it is. I'm guessing the stock is not original, as I haven't seen others like it. They advertise it as a M98, but I don't have a clue how they can state something that appears to be false.

The barrel is clearly marked ".338 Win Mag" with the statement "ORIGINAL SAKO BARREL MADE IN FINLAND."

I cannot interpret the designs and hallmarks present. There are some numbers, so I've got pictures of that. I don't need a ton of details, but it would be great to have an idea of what model and an era this is, if anyone is willing to lend their expertise.

Thanks so much!
    Kyle

sako5.jpg sako4.jpg sako3.jpg sako2.jpg sako1.jpg

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The rifle you picture is not by any stretch a Sako. There was a rifle assembled by Sako (who fitted their barrel and stock) which used an FN Mauser action, but this is not one of them.

At one time Sako offered the barrels they manufactured to the gunsmithing trade. They were marked as you indicate. This Mauser has had a Sak0-made barrel mounted on it, which is fine. But mounting a Sako barrel on some other action and stock doesn't make it a Sako any more than shooting Remington ammunition in a Winchester Model 70 makes the gun into a Remington.

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    That appears to be a custom rifle built on a Mauser 98 action using a Sako barrel. It is NOT a Sako rifle. Peruse our forum before you buy & learn what the various Sako models are & what they look like. Lots of good info here. Welcome to our club! I see where Stonecreek has already answered while I was typing, so sorry for any duplication.

4. Webphut

Webphut Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, learn. I joined this forum a short time back and I have learned a ton. Best part too is everyone here is so nice and super knowledgeable. No stupid questions on this forum. Every question is good. The trade section is great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. texgun

texgun Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Did SAKO make stocks with Schnabel fore ends?