Compatible stocks

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Rogan Kinnear, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Please excuse me if this has been answered or documented somewhere, but I am interested in acquiring a 'backup' stock for my well used L579. Is there a list of compatible stocks for rifles or is it a bit hit and miss because of how factory worked?

I love the original Sako stocks and whilst I like transparency and don't want to upgrade my stock to a deluxe model, I found that they are more readily available.

Any direction on what stocks may drop in and be accurate would be greatly appreciated. I can get gunsmith to work on it but most good smiths are between 6 - 8 hours away and id like to check their work. It would be handy to just drop it in should my current stock fail.

As stated it's a L579 in 308 serial number range 913 - - with NO Bofors stamp. I believe this makes it a 1970 year of production? Screenshot_20200703-095742_Gallery.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Finding an L579 stock that has not been modified or that is in good shape is going to be very difficult. Forget Boyds as the fit is terrible (and I believe that they discontinued production on that model).

rick

Rogan Kinnear likes this.
  3. Rogan Kinnear

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Cheers Rick

4. Foxhunter223

Foxhunter223 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
  5. Rogan Kinnear

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Thanks, Pete, if I can keep it original I will but I'll a gander. Appreciated! I may have to go down this line one day. I didn't realise they were in Australia! Bloody handy to have on home ground.

6. Trout Killer

Trout Killer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    That seems a bit steep for a semi inletted, unfinished stock. I picked up a Richards microfit stocks for around $120 USD. They are located in Burbank, California. http://richardsmicrofitgunstocks.com/

7. Foxhunter223

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    And by the time you get one of those stocks out here the cost would be approx 500 or more AU dollars.
    Pete

8. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    +1 on the Richards. I bought two already and was really pleased with both.

9. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Have you fitted them yet? I've heard that Richards has some nice wood, but the inletting leaves something to be desired. That's scuttlebutt; if you've done the fitting I'd be very interested to hear about your experience.

Rogan Kinnear and CVCOBRA1 like this.
  10. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    I've got 3 McMillan stocked guns. Two AV's with their older hunter style fiberglass versions and an AII wearing a classic tricolor camouflage. I am pleased with all. I bought one new in '94 for 275 USD it's on my 7 RemMag . I found a barely used one a couple years ago for 200. It's on a .338 wm. The AII came with the synthetic. All that to say I like McMillan. I've read on Sako facebook page of issues with the edge style and heavy recoil guns, and ensuing less than stellar customer service with out of country warranty claims... So there is my McM experience and an anecdote of another.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  11. Trout Killer

Trout Killer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    The exchange rate between Australian dollars and US dollars is $1.00 Aus = .71 US. or $1.00 USD = $1.41 Aus.
    Shipping shouldn't be too wild as I have shipped similar sized and weight items to Australia for around $40-$50 USD. Should still be well below $250 Aus. for stock and shipping minus anything the government is trying to rape you for.

12. Trout Killer

Trout Killer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Like any semi inletted stock, there is going to be a lot of inletting and finish work to be done. That is just a fact of life. The 3 stocks I picked up from them, the mag well/trigger guard of all three barreled actions I have fit really close. A friend helped me remove the barrel from one set up and the action fit the stock fairly well with a little bit of sanding and chiseling in some areas. No large obvious gaps along the top edge to fill with bedding glass nor was their any along the edges of the lower metal work. A nice fit in my opinion.
    I live 60 miles south of Richards, so I took a drive up there several years ago with my 3 barreled actions and spent a couple of hours figuring out what 2 of them were with the manager (One is a Herters J9 but is marked as an XK3 (I'll explain later) and the other is a FN Mauser that was sold commercially back in 1952 and is based on a model 98 Mauser). Also, some of that time was spent selecting which one I wanted for each based on wood grain and looks.

Now about my Herters J9. My father ordered it in 1967 and when it arrived it had a tag stating that they changed the model line from the XK3 to the J9 because they changed the safety from a wing type to a side lever much like which is found on the Sako L579. Mine has "Made in Yugoslavia" as well as the CZ mark stamped into the receiver but the barrel is stamped XK3. After a bit of research and asking questions about it on several forums several years ago, I ran into a guy who worked for Herters and had intimate knowledge of why it was mismarked. He explained that when Herters changed the receiver, they still had a couple hundred barrels (Made by Douglas for Herters) left over that were stamped as XK3. Instead of trashing those barrels or restamping them as J9, he explained that Herters decided to use them and sent along an explanation on why the barrel was marked as an XK3 and not as a J9. They said they accidently stamped them as an XK3 but the truth is they were just using up the old stock of barrels they had already paid for. He told me that the error actually could add a couple bucks to the value if all paper work was retained. Luckily my father was a child of the great depression and never threw anything away and I have the original receipts and the letter with the ad my father wrote and sent to Herters when he ordered it. LOL. Notice the price was only $45 and shipping was a whopping 80 cents from Minnesota to Illinois.
    IMG_2674.JPG IMG_2675.JPG

13. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Both stocks were in-letted nicely. There was more extra wood left outside than I would have cared to have, but taking down the outside was way better than bad in-letting. At least for me. I didn't glass bed the one stock as I felt it would be not needed. The other rifle I pillar bedded, so precise in-letting was not required. Both rifles were Remingtons.

14. Foxhunter223

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Trout Killer if only it was that simple, I couldn't tell you how many of us Aussies would be getting gear out for the States. That would be OK if you could get one sent but no one is going to send firearm parts to Australia especially at this time when Border Force, Australian Federal Police and your HomeLand Security are have a blitz here for this very thing.
    Hi TK,
    First up trout season starts here in a couple weeks, I cannot wait as it has been a long winter with this covid lock down going on here. Not to mention having missed the last month or more of last season :( because of the lock down.

Anyway, you are 100% correct with your currency conversion. I have looked at Richards stock site and he does not seem to indicate he would export out of USA, in fact charges extra for Alaska and your island state. But I recently ( within the last to weeks ) looked at building a new Bench Rest rifle using a new Bat SV action. In the USA that action is US$1239 that same action here is over AU$2700. This is because of our import tax, GST, profit for the importer, profit for the wholesaler who is quite often the retailer as well but sometimes you have the previous mentioned and a retailer at the end.

Licenced firearm users here used to buy stocks from Boyds but then the export laws changed and a US$100 limit was placed on parts being exported to Oz, but this does not include brass, projectiles or actions. So to get a Richards stock here you have to use an importer who deals with or has a franchise agreement with Richards. You can jump through all the hoops and try to import one yourself but by the time you pay and correct me if I am wrong on this but the export licence cost of US$2000 for Richards so they can export plus a licence fee of US$250 dollars to the buyer of the stock or pay a company to actually export the article and here I have no idea what that would cost but Reloading International is one that does do this, so their fee plus the the cost of the stock itself it is quite often just not practical. But some people do go through Reloader Intl' for something very special. If you have a very good friend over there that is willing to take the risk you would have a very good chance of getting it through our Border Force system but it is not something I would ask anyone to do. As you stated "We get raped by the Government".

Anyway been great talking with you and if you ever get over this way look me up as I have some great trout water that I have exclusive access to and would be more than happy to get you onto some good Aussie trout.

Cheers
    Pete

Rogan Kinnear and Trout Killer like this.
  15. Trout Killer

Trout Killer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Well, once again a government took all the fun out of it and made it overly expensive. Greedy bastards. The agriculture department would probably quarantine it for 6 months as well because it is made of wood.

Thank you for the invite. And the same goes for you, if you ever are in Southern California and soon to be in Southwest Utah, near Zion National Park.
    I've fished New Zealand twice in the past. South Island. Fished and camped the Mataura river, the Ahuriri river and dozens of little lakes that were loaded. Both were exceptional places and beautiful scenery. Huge, hungry trout. Would love to fish Australia some day. Been there twice (surfers Paradise region) for surfing and then for a friends wedding and surfing, but never trout fishing. I've heard it is fantastic. I read you have some monsters lurking in the rivers down there. This year I had Argentina on my mind but the Wuhan Flu is creating doubts on that happening.
    Our trout season is winding down here in Commiefornia. Went up to the Sierras and the state of Utah a couple of times each this last summer and cleaned up. Was planning to make one more trip into Monache Meadows and hike into the Golden Trout Wilderness to fish the South Fork Kern River but the National Forestry Dept. closed it off due to all the fires so I might try one last trip up to Utah instead.

Foxhunter223 and Rogan Kinnear like this.
  16. Rogan Kinnear

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Thanks mate, as stated above we have to jump through a few financial hoops to get them over here. It has to be well worth it to bother. I'll have a look at them though. Cheers for the reply.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  17. MickTaylo

MickTaylo Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
  18. Foxhunter223

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I thought that was the governments job, "to take the fun out of it". Don't tell them about placing a wooden stock into quarantine as they have not thought of that yet !

I have a friend I went to school with who now lives in Utah. He is up near Salt Lake city. Looks like a nice area where you are going, some nice rivers and reservoirs. What is the fishing and hunting like in SW Utah ?

South Island NZ is a fantastic place to visit. I have been there a couple times myself. Last time a friend and I went duck hunting at Lake Ellesmere for a week. We even had a local to show us how it was done Kiwi style and then left us to it. We had a great time. First time I was there was for the War Birds Over Wanuka air show then went back for the duck hunting.

Surfers Paradise is only 3.5 hours north from where I am on the far north coast of NSW. All expressway now so probably even less travel time. If you wanted to fish for some big fish I have a friend Doug who is my go to person for Murray Cod fishing. They grow big. Not to mention the Bass fishing that Doug and I get into.

Cheers
    Pete

Trout Killer likes this.
  19. Trout Killer

Trout Killer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    What is the fishing and hunting like in SW Utah ?

In one word. Phenomenal.

For shooting, you have Black Bear, Elk, Pronghorn, Big Horn Sheep, wild pigs, duck, Sage Grouse, Quail, Turkey etc. Fishing is some of the best. Brown, Rainbow and Cut Throat trout. Bass, Catfish and Crappie as well. You would love it.

Sounds like you are near Coffs Harbor or Port Macquarie. Stayed a night in Macquarie on my first trip as I drove from Sydney to the Gold Coast surfing all the famous breaks along the way. Took five days and enjoyed every minute of it. Got extremely drunk with local surfers I met every night. Had a hell of a damn good time. That was back in the late 80's and I am still good friends with 5 locals I met on that trip. Every one of them is Fair Dinkum.

20. Rogan Kinnear

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland