Colt Coltsman

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Chuck1988, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Chuck1988

Chuck1988 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Hello I need some help with identifying and learning more about my Colt coltsman .243. I'm not sure how to tell which model it is. Standard, custom or custom deluxe. Also can't find anything with serial number look up. Any info would be appreciated.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Post some clear photos. It's easy. Just click on the "Upload a File" button at the bottom of the reply box and transfer your photo from your computer.

3. Chuck1988

Chuck1988 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Okay thank you

Attached Files:

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You have the deluxe version. IIRC, Colt called them the Custom Deluxe or something similar. Unlike the standard version, which were built by Colt using the Sako action, the deluxe models were made completely by Sako in Finland for Colt. I think the L579 actioned Coltsman was made from 1963 thru 1965, but a request to the club's Factory Records Service would confirm it's production & shipping dates.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  5. Chuck1988

Chuck1988 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thank you very much. I appreciate anything I can learn about it

6. Chuck1988

Chuck1988 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I am not interested in selling this rifle ever since it's a family heirloom, but I am curious what the ballpark worth is. Thank you

7. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Either side of $800

8. Chuck1988

Chuck1988 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thank you all for the information.

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Condition is all-important to a rifle's value, particularly a scarce and high grade one like the Coltsman Deluxe. It is hard to tell the condition of your rifle from the limited photos, but it would be rare for a Deluxe Coltsman in 90% or better condition to sell for less than $1,000; typically more. Leupold scopes are also quite liquid.

10. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    From the photo's it looks like the rifle is well used.

Numerous nicks in the stock, the finish is cracking, and the bluing is heavily worn. And really can't see the pad that good but I would imagine that it's shot. The leupold scope looks like the old VX1 and the rings are
    not the old desirable Sako type.

I wouldn't give $800 for it, but someone else might. And if not then it would be under the 8 mark.

11. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That could be the case, but would have to examine it in person to make a firm judgment. However, if it is as well-used as Rocky believes then its value as a Deluxe or "collectible" declines to much closer to that of a "shooter". The difference in a common "shooter grade" standard and a "shooter grade" rifle which might otherwise be a "collectible" if in better condition is very little.

However, its value as an heirloom far outweighs any market value; and its condition represents the reason it is an heirloom. The bruises and bumps on a rifle which has been in the family for more than a half-century and used by multiple generations are scars of honor and fond reminders of bygone days and perhaps of those who have passed on. There is no way to put a dollar value on that.

Rocky likes this.
  12. Chuck1988

Chuck1988 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    You are exactly right with that. The memories and stories with that gun couldn't be touched with any dollar amount in the world. Thank you all so much for the info.

13. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You're welcome to share some of those hunting stories if you like.