Coltsman Deluxe - Heads Up

Discussion in 'Other firearms built on Sako actions' started by Paul B., Jan 12, 2019.

1. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Hi All,

I wanted to post a heads up regarding a "Coltsman Deluxe" currently for sale on GB. While the barreled action, engraved floorplate, etc. seem original, the stock appears aftermarket in my opinion as it's missing the typical checkering pattern as well as the inlayed "dot" on the pistol grip cap. It also sports a Pachmayer recoil pad. Do you all agree or, did Coltsman Deluxes have different stock configurations throughout the years? I don't think the seller has any idea that the stock isn't original (again, my opinion). This listing has generated quite a few bids so, I figured it was a good idea to at least share these thoughts in case a SSC member is watching this auction.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/795971296

Thanks.
    - Paul B.

2. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Is that rig for shooting deer that are sneaking up behind you.:D

Paul B. likes this.
  3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That's an odd one, all right. It certainly looks like a Sako factory deluxe stock, except that the checkering is not skip-line and the grip cap lacks the typical dot that you find on a Coltsman. It might be a repro from that outfit in Montana. They make nice looking stuff, it's just overpriced and deceptively marketed. The checkering even has the excessively wide border in certain areas that is typical of Sako factory work. And that scope installation is just plain weird - who would mount a scope backwards in Weaver mounts? And what kind of a gun dealer would actually photograph a gun for sale without correcting it?

It is kind of a nice looking rifle, although the metal has plenty of wear - if it was on a table at a local gun show, I might dicker for it. I don't like skip-line checkering anyway. But I'm not sure I'd want to bid on Gunbroker for it, and I sure wouldn't pay what a fully original Coltsman would bring.

4. tripledeuce

tripledeuce Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    You'll shoot your eye out kid! That is a hoot.

5. Paul B.

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Ha! I was so perturbed with the aftermarket stock I didn't even notice the backwards scope! Ingenious!

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hey, isn't that how you mount all of your scopes for close range shooting? Gives you a much wider field of view:cool:!

7. Glenn Verrall

Glenn Verrall Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Goodness me.

8. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Giving the advantage back to the prey. Very good sportsmanship!

9. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Saw a Coltsman that was being marketed as a "deluxe" in a gun shop in northern Iowa that had the IDENTICAL stock, except the butt pad was solid & thinner & appeared to be original to the stock. Had a Coltsman 4X scope mounted & the Colt engraving on the bottom metal. Was built on a Mauser action, but in 300 Win Mag, which I thought odd for that era rifle. I tend to think that it is a factory stock, but a rather rare version. BTW, the scope was pointed in the right direction on the one I saw.

10. Paul B.

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Very interesting! It sounds like you are describing an older Coltsman Deluxe (pre-L61R action) as it was built on a FN Mauser. Perhaps this particular rifle's stock is original. I've just never seen a stock like this.

11. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I really "felt" that the Coltsman I saw was factory & the shop owner has a good rep as a straightshooter. I'm still wondering why a Coltsman in 300 Win Mag would have the Mauser action as the 300 WM wasn't introduced until 1963 when they were supposedly built on the L61R action. Maybe Colt was buying them with both actions & the stock is a transition stock to the Sako built "Custom" Coltsmans. Perhaps the answer is lost to history.

12. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    It sold for $965. Anyone have an opinion on whether that is a fair price? In some ways it's quite a nice rifle, but of questionable collectibility.

13. Paul B.

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Agreed. Still a very nice rifle (even with the pachmayer pad and suspicious stock). Still a quality barreled action!