• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Clueless

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I have a .223 marked Sako I with a serial number of 933795. Any Info? Imported by Stoeger

• Model

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • info

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gator18

hey guys... First time caller... I got a sako marked sako I in .223 last night. Ser# 933795. I have a bunch of sakos and I have never ran into this problem. Can anyone tell me what I have. It was imported by Stoeger. I cant find any info on a Sako I. Thanks in advance .

You have a Model 75, action size I. The 75 wasn't stamped with the Model #, but was stamped with the action size, which in your case was the small action (roman numeral I). The other sizes were II (medium), SM (short mag), IV (long) & V (magnum). They were made from 1996 to 2006.

You have a Model 75, action size I. The 75 wasn't stamped with the Model #, but was stamped with the action size, which in your case was the small action (roman numeral I). The other sizes were II (medium), SM (short mag), IV (long) & V (magnum). They were made from 1996 to 2006.
I ran across this Sako in .22 PPC for sale and noticed it was marked Sako III. This has me confused. I assume it's a 75, but wonder why the action size would be designated III (which would seem to be larger than the II, or medium, action) given that previous Sako PPCs were usually on the smaller actions like the L461 and A1
RGik5NJ.jpg

IIRC, Sako initially announced there would be action sizes I, II, III, SM, IV, & V, but when production actually started dropped the separate PPC action size which I mistakenly thought was the III. It must have been the II that they dropped & just made the PPC on the III along with the medium action size calibers. Probably had to do with the bolt faces being closer in size. Just going by a fading memory, so if I need corrected again it will be welcomed.

Out of curiosity I researched some old articles on the 75 & it was the II size that was not produced as initially planned. The II was earmarked for the PPC bolt face, but Sako decided it wasn't cost effective & made the PPCs on the III action. The III & the SM are the same length, but the bolt face & magazines are different for the Short Mag version. Didn't find any documentation, but I'm assuming the IV & V are also the same length but with different bolt face & magazine for the Magnum version. So in essence there are 3 action "sizes" with 5 or 6 bolt faces. Thanks to South Pender for his post & pic to clear up what can be a confusing subject!
I ran across this Sako in .22 PPC for sale and noticed it was marked Sako III. This has me confused. I assume it's a 75, but wonder why the action size would be designated III (which would seem to be larger than the II, or medium, action) given that previous Sako PPCs were usually on the smaller actions like the L461 and A1
RGik5NJ.jpg

Sako seems to have been a bit bi-polar when it comes to the x39 cartridges (.220 Russian, .22 PPC, 6mm PPC, 7.62x39) as they made them both on their "short" actions and their "medium" actions. This was true with both the A-series and the Model 75, it appears. The only one of these calibers produced in the L-series (to my limited knowledge) was the 7.62x39, which was on the medium L579. However, it would have fit nicely into the L461, and some L461's converted to this caliber are floating around. It is even possible that there are some factory L461's in 7.62x39, but at the moment I can't recall hearing of one.

Who knows: Were all of the heavy barreled PPC's built on the medium actions, with sporters mostly on the short actions? Or was there a mixture of both?

Were all of the heavy barreled PPC's built on the medium actions, with sporters mostly on the short actions? Or was there a mixture of both?
I suspect that the majority of the heavy-barrel PPCs were on the A1 action. Mine is, and several I've seen for sale are also. We also see quite a few on the S491 action.

I suspect that the majority of the heavy-barrel PPCs were on the A1 action. Mine is, and several I've seen for sale are also. We also see quite a few on the S491 action.
Thanks for that info.

I bought four 6mm PPC's as one lot at an auction back in 2013. The two HB's were M75-III's and the two sporters were A-1's, which is why I had the impression that HB's were on the medium actions and sporters on the short actions. Maybe Sako went primarily to the medium action when they came out with the M75?

Does anyone have an M75-I in PPC?

Friend has an owners manual that came with his 75 that lists the actions & calibers available at the time he purchased his rifle.
Action I:
17 Rem, 222 Rem, 223 Rem
Action II: not listed or mentioned
Action III:
22PPC, 6PPC, 7.62x39, 243, 7mm-08, 308
Not sure when he bought it, but it was before the 204 came out. Saw on another forum where a guy said his III 6PPC had the same size magazine as his I action in 223.

The PPC also were MOSTLY, not all, but most built with the varmint hand rubbed oil finish stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back