Checkering tools?

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by icebear, Aug 31, 2019.

1. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    For those of you who do checkering, do you have a preference between Gunline and Dem-Bart tools? And if so, what is better about one compared to the other? I personally have always used Gunline, but that's more of a habit than a decision. My first checkering tools were Gunline and they were OK, so I've just stuck with the brand. What's your opinion on this?

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Have both. Dem-Bart cutters are better, last longer & are 1/2 the cost, but only come in 90 degree type. Handles are equal. Cutters have different size pin holes so aren't interchangeable with the handles. Dem-Barts don't come in 60 degree type so when working on finer checkering or borders I use Gunline. They both do a nice job. Not sure why the carbide ones are not available anymore, as I could do a whole rifle with one and it would still have life in it. Some of the Gunline ones I bought recently were dull right out of the package, while the Dem-Bart's were nice and sharp & I could repoint multiple panels before replacing. The old adage "nothing more dangerous than a dull knife" holds true with checkering cutters, too!!

3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Thanks for the info. I'll probably pick up a couple of Dem-Bart tools the next time I buy new checkering tools and see how they work out for me.