Cartridge .300 Mag FinnBear

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Bill Mummey, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Bill Mummey

Bill Mummey Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    I have recently acquired a .300 Mag FinnBear L61R. The barrel markings don't distinguish between a WinMag or HH. It just states .300 Mag. Is it fair to assume it's an early gun prior to the WinMag cartridge and it takes the HH?

XTrooper likes this.

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Welcome,
    From discussions on here before about this subject, I'd say yes it is an H&H. Win Mags are marked Win Mag.

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The stamping would indicate it is the H&H version. However, it was not uncommon for them to be rechambered for the 300 Weatherby version as the belts matched & it did not require setting the barrel back. I would do a chamber cast or see if a Weatherby round will chamber, just to be sure. Factory records are also available for that rifle, so you could click on "Factory Records Service" to see how it left the factory.

XTrooper likes this.
  4. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Paulson is correct that many Sakos were rechambered in .300 Weatherby, and shady tree gunsmiths sometimes did so without bothering to restamp the barrels. I've seen such rifles myself. Odds are, however, that the chamber is unmolested, unless the gun is otherwise customized.

It's not really necessary to cast the chamber, as a .300 H&H round can safely be fired in a .300 Weatherby chamber. In fact, this is a common method of forming cases for reloading used by reloaders who don't want to pay Weatherby's prices for brass.

XTrooper likes this.