Canjar trigger help appreciated

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by Granville, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Granville

Granville Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Would appreciate any advice or input regarding a Canjar trigger, please.

I have inherited a custom built rifle on a Sako L57 action (.22-250), aftermarket barrel, custom made stock, and Canjar trigger (unsure of model). The rifle was made in 1974, built by the prior owner for his own personal use, who by trade was a riflesmith specializing in custom fit precision hunting rifles.

I have recently taken the rifle apart for inspection and thorough cleaning. Upon reassembly, there are frequent intermittent failures to fire. I have backed-off a little on the over-travel screw, without luck.

I'm not sure how to approach this going forward, and to prevent further blundering, would appreciate any suggestions or guidance.

Thanks.

2. Granville

Granville Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    In fiddling around, I've been able to characterize further.

The failure to function turns out to be failure to keep the bolt cocked. It's as though closing the bolt with the trigger pulled.

If. . . . After raising the bolt handle to start the cycle, the trigger is pushed forward slightly, then all will function properly.

What adjustment is needed to get the trigger to fully reset?

Thanks.

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Not too familiar with Canjars, but sounds to me like the trigger return spring or the weight of pull spring is set way too light or possibly broken. If the overtravel is set too short you wouldn't be able to push the trigger forward. Something is amiss with the springs or spring pressure that returns the trigger to it's proper position to engage the sear. Let us know how things work out!

4. Granville

Granville Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Thanks. . .

I have the over-travel screw backed way out.

I'll try increasing the trigger tension and see.

Was hoping to not take it apart, but might be headed that way.

5. ardeekay

ardeekay Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    I had a similar problem with a brand new Timney... it would fail to cock about 25% of cycles...( at 3 lb. setting) .. At 4 lb. setting, it worked fine... I'm starting to wonder if maybe the original sako trigger just needed tweeking. ...older L579 in 308...