Can someone help me identify this Sako Rifle.....

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Tom PLiura, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Tom PLiura

Tom PLiura Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    I got this rifle from my dad back in 1972, when he died. I was 15 years old. It is a Sako Rifle, in .222 caliber. The rifle is stamped Riihimaki on the side, and the serial number is 18240.....I am trying to learn more about the rifle...what is the numeric model type....year of manufacture, etc.

It is not for sale, but I want to learn more about it. I have a 17-year-old son and he is interested in using it to hunt coyotes. I just purchased two boxes of shells. It has not been fired since 1972. Side view left.jpg Model Name close-up.jpg Right side view.jpg

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi Tom

You got just what it says. A very nice Sako Riihimake (L46) in 222 Remington. Take good care of it as it looks great.

rick

3. Tom PLiura

Tom PLiura Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Rick:

Thank you for your help...the L46 was what I was seeking....I went online to the Sako serial numbers....and that model started production in 1946 (with serial number 1) and apparently ended the production line in 1962 (at serial number 57,000). If my gun's serial number is 18240, are you aware of any Sako records that will allow me to identify the actual year it was made? It is not that big of a deal, but my son was asking. Did Sako keep records annually so an owner can see when their particular gun was made? Thanks.

4. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    At the top of this page you will see "factory records service" .
    Click on the link

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That's a beautiful L46, and its contemporaneous Redfield 6x scope is a good match for it. I'm going to bet that it shoots very accurately.

Sako does not provide records for its older rifles, but as Unclekax says, you can get the factory records on your Sako from our Club at http://sakocollectors.tictail.com/

6. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Send it to me and then I will be able to tell you more about it.

deergoose likes this.