• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Can anybody educate me on the rifle I just bought?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Yousee

Can anybody educate me on the rifle I just bought?
Says L61R No. 18190 followed by a couple symbols.
No "Sako" No "Made on Finland" "no caliber
I was told it was a Sako Finnbear in 30-06
Is it a factory stock?
Aprox When was it manufactured?
How much is it worth?

Attachments

• Resized_20230329_131603.jpg
    Resized_20230329_131603.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Resized_20230518_214209.jpg
    Resized_20230518_214209.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 46
Hey and welcome to the forum.

The only Sako component I see is the action. It is an L61R. Barrel and stock are custom. Original barrel would be marked accordingly including caliber stamped right in front of the action under the rifle scope.

I’d 100% identify the caliber by having a chamber casting done to remove any and all ambiguity.

The club has a record search tab to help identify the year of the action. 18190 is the serial number, but Sako did not oftentimes produce in sequential order.

Actual value is simply impossible to determine based on many factors and unknowns. Custom rifles simply don’t have an “A” typical pathway. It looks like a decent build with a nice piece of glass. Just please be safe - rather than sorry, or an inadvertent casualty.

Hey and welcome to the forum.

The only Sako component I see is the action. It is an L61R. Barrel and stock are custom. Original barrel would be marked accordingly including caliber stamped right in front of the action under the rifle scope.

I’d 100% identify the caliber by having a chamber casting done to remove any and all ambiguity.

The club has a record search tab to help identify the year of the action. 18190 is the serial number, but Sako did not oftentimes produce in sequential order.

Actual value is simply impossible to determine based on many factors and unknowns. Custom rifles simply don’t have an “A” typical pathway. It looks like a decent build with a nice piece of glass. Just please be safe - rather than sorry, or an inadvertent casualty.
thank you - I have seen other Sakos online with that same stock. Must be a popular replacement. I will have a casting done before I fire it.

I have seen other Sakos online with that same stock.
It was fashionable in the mid 60’s-70’s to build a custom to mimic a Weatherby or rifle from a builder with the style of the time. The good news is, the Sako action was - and is highly regarded as one of the best actions used in a custom. Right up there with the pre 64 70 and a few other brands of choice. Once you are able to shoot it, you might have a gem. Also, disassemble the rifle, there may be clues under the wood to help determine barrel brand and perhaps the builder, etc.

Edit: if you disassemble, make sure the magazine box is properly seated prior to tightening the action screws. If not the bottom metal is subject to bending. See bulged bottom metal. @kevinlg gives a great tutorial.

Last edited:
It was fashionable in the mid 60’s-70’s to build a custom to mimic a Weatherby or rifle from a builder with the style of the time. The good news is, the Sako action was - and is highly regarded as one of the best actions used in a custom. Right up there with the pre 64 70 and a few other brands of choice. Once you are able to shoot it, you might have a gem. Also, disassemble the rifle, there may be clues under the wood to help determine barrel brand and perhaps the builder, etc.

Edit: if you disassemble, make sure the magazine box is properly seated prior to tightening the action screws. If not the bottom metal is subject to bending. See bulged bottom metal. @kevinlg gives a great tutorial.
thanks - I paid $825 for it with a 4x Leopold - which I removed and replaced with a Zeiss I had lying around. I will use the Leopold

took the stock off - bottom of barrel marked:

DXX
BH

Any clue what that means? 3006 I figure means 30-06

Attachments

• thumbnail_Resized_20221214_131107(5).jpg
    thumbnail_Resized_20221214_131107(5).jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Resized_20221214_131103(1).jpg
    Resized_20221214_131103(1).jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 18
Just a guess but
DXX no guess
10 twist rate?
BH builder’s initials?
1267 build date?
As I stated Just guessing here
Nice piece
Welcome to the club
Kax

Maybe the DXX is a Douglas denotation, but am not familiar enough with their vintage products. I believe @Unclekax may be on target 🎯 with his guesses, but still hard to know for certain.

Back