Calling all members about a future L46!

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by L61R, Mar 14, 2013.

?

Which SCC L46 would you like to own??

1. Sporter 7x33

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. Mannlicher 7x33

20 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Sporter .25-20

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. Mannlicher .25-20

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Sporter .218Bee

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. Mannlicher .218Bee

7 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Sporter .22Hornet

13 vote(s)
    11.6%
  8. Mannlicher .22Hornet

13 vote(s)
    11.6%
  9. Deluxe 7x33 or .25-20 or.218Bee or .22Hornet

42 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Bowne1

Bowne1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Massachusetts
    Jim, I will take 1 of each
    Deluxe 7x33, .25-20,218Bee, 22Hornet.

However, I will just take 1 or maybe 2 of whatever they agree to make.

2. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Jim - Deluxe 218Bee or 22Hornet.

I will at least take 1 or maybe 2 depending on the actual cost. Maybe even 3 if they are a reasonable - one for me and one for each of my boys, but cost will determine that.
    Thanks for trying to get something going !!

Norway.375 likes this.
  3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Wonderful pipe dream!! Hope it comes to be. Any L46 in any caliber that comes out of this would be a definite BUY for me. The 17 Hornet is HOT right now, so that could be an incentive to bring it back for that market. Any L46 with a Hornet bolt face would be very desirable for us that would build rifles off it. Heck, just the action would be great!! I'll build the rest of it.

4. piper235b

piper235b Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I'd take something in .22 Hornet , a Mannlicher or Deluxe or a SCC Commemorative model. Preferably in LH safety as Topgear has suggested.
    2nd choice would be the same styles again in .222

(I couldn't see a Poll voting button above; are we supposed to add to the above poll numbers? If so, sorry I've 'failed')

Cheers
    Piper

5. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    I just saw this subject. I've had 7 x 33's and ammo is the problem in the USA
    A gun without ammo is just a paper weight.

6. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I'm the opposite - 300 new cases, 700 odd projectiles and not an original 7x33 to be found. So going the reamer/custom route!

Beretta were/are importing 7x33 brass to Australia recently. I brought mine about 12 months back for $130/100 cases. I would imagine Beretta US should be able to get them in for you?

7. ohiochuck

ohiochuck Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Any Status report on the proposed SCC L46 rifles??
    Thanks!
    Jim

8. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Hi all!

Well, it doesn't look promising to tell the truth.

I used to have a contact at Sako but he's left. They don't reply to my emails anymore and I have given up hope about hearing from them.

They are probably busy building and selling their current line of rifles, and do not have time for nerds like us.
    I can appreciate that of course, as it must be hard to run guns today.

Jim

9. ohiochuck

ohiochuck Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    L61R,
    Possible solutions if Sako (Beretta) is truly not interested.
    Is the Sako L46 design copyright protected?
    If no, possibly the Browning folks in Belgium might be interested- maybe being made in Japan?
    Jim

10. m995

m995 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I spoke to a Beretta rep at a distributor show about a month ago & raised this question. At least 200 customs of modern actions & deep pockets to support it. I would personally like a 975 in 6.5x47

11. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I don't think the L46 would be copyrighted. The mauser mini x or remington 799 is pretty much an exact copy of the L461 - they even use the same extractor for the bolt! So I can't image copyright would be an issue. It would be a bit like the norinco JW15 .22's which are an exact copy of the old bruno model 2 .22's. I just don't think there would be enough demand to get a chinese or japanese company interested.

12. David Henzler

David Henzler Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Well men... I just got my first L46 and have been admiring it for several days. I have two L461 Vixens and think they're pretty darn nice. But I saw this one come available and had always wanted one. It's in pretty nice shape. I put a Leupold 6.5-20x40 scope on it and am ready to poke some holes to see how it does. Maybe Wednesday.
    have a look at it... http://67.76.137.137/sako

13. David Henzler

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    There are some things better remembered than revisited. I would imagine that SAKO or perhaps more properly Beretta could produce the L461 again.

Vulcan proverbs

Wanting is more pleasurable than having. I have often found this to be true. The search and acquisition are the most exciting. Even if the rifle shoots perfectly... the excitement is over.

So for my advice friends, enjoy what you have for those are probably the best of times, and remember your shooting mates, and you will have a smile on your face.

14. David Henzler

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    I am curious about interest in the diminutive 22 center fires. Seems to me that over the years each has given up in favor of the next click. 218 bee went to 219 zipper and that to 222 rem. The rem has had a resurgence as the number of firearms chambered for it still in existence hasn't diminished as much. And with new interest in saving component cost while still preserving performance. But if I wanted a less powerful 22 than a 222, I'd probably get a 22 Mag. Sure those 22 Hornet cases are cute. But are about 22 mag in power at a higher cost to you. It's the same quiz with 22-250 vs 220 Swift vs 223WSSM. But here you are limited by firearm mfg, and case all but the 22-250.

So my answer to the question of which 22 I'd want to see the L46 made in would be simple... 222 Rem.

15. axis1008

axis1008 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    22 hornet here!

16. David Henzler

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Gee Guys... to update my previous post (up one or two) it's an interesting idea. Kinda like asking General Motors if they'd like to make a limited run of the 57 Chevy Bel Air with 283 and stick shift.

Personally as much as I'd like to have more SAKO rifles, it wouldn't be a factory remake. The giant block of steel at the rear of the bolt was FAR from a thing of beauty. The L461 was an obvious improvement, as were the high comb stocks to accommodate scope shooters. Although late model L46's have the improved stock...

I collect Smith & Wesson, and when the factory offered remakes of guns like the model 58, I was unhappy. Now when you see a model 58 you have to be careful that it's not the remake version. Old is better in this case.. more machined parts fewer investment castings...

I shopped for years before finding an L46 without any loss of bluing or rust, and that appeared to not be shot out... that was affordable. My little L46 --> http://24.172.105.90/sako/ I have one that I like. I do believe the 7x33 is an interesting cartridge, and if I were to acquire another... it would likely be in that. Although I have a dozen SAKO's all but one is PreGarcia. And I wouldn't buy another Garcia again. The stock finish turns sticky and constantly needs to be wiped of that resinous excrement. And they messed with the bolt cap... adding an annoying button.

Wouldn't it actually be better to leave well enough alone, and enjoy the search for your RARE SAKO dream gun? I think so!

Regards to all yall

Dave

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  17. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You can have the Sako of our dreams by simply building a custom rifle on any Sako action in any caliber of your choice, in a reproduced replica of the Sako stock with a Sako buttplate or pad & grip cap, checkered to match Sako checkering & then shoot it to your hearts content for somewhere between $2500 & $3500. BTW, that's probably a lot less than the unit cost Beretta could produce them for. In fact you can buy one right now from "The Custom Shop" in Montana. Check there prices out!!!!! They would probably build one right now any way you like. Just get your check book out & stop dreaming, you can make it happen!!!! Beretta is NEVER going to reproduce these old models. They can't!! Not a big enough market & the tooling & production costs would be prohibitive. Just sayin'. But, like all of us Sakoholics, it is nice to dream.

18. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    A run of L461 actions/rifles would be great. But as for the L46 I think we would be better served by the L461.

rick

19. ABCANADA

ABCANADA Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Vote is in….please don't forget about us lefty's!

20. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi everyone. Just some additional thoughts on the subject of a run of L461 Actions by Beretta. Its probably not as unrealistic of a thought as one might think. First we aren't just talking about U.S. consumption so lets not forget our Sako Buddies in other countries. Secondly, with the computer capabilities we have today, Ide bet that parts could be easily scanned and automated machinery spun up to produce any given number of them. Actions could be easily forged and machined as well. Problem is the time in human terms that it would take to inspect, fit, polish and assemble the product. To be profitable something on the order of 10k actions and twice that for individual parts would have to be produced, stored, shipped and sold. So the holdback is really a question of demand. Is there enough demand for this stuff on a world wide basis to justify actually doing it and what impact would such an initiative have on the production and sales of current models? Unfortunately we will never know the answers but it would be great to see a resurrection of the oldies but goodies.

rick's muse