• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Calling all customs!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Thanks for putting the link up Marcus, Very interesting, I had not heard of the Armourall trick before.
I have refinished several of my Sakos in True Oil over the years, so will certainly give it a try next time one needs a tidy up.
I used the outdoor furniture oil on my teak patio setting, but don't see any reason it won't suit rifle stocks. It looks like it worked admirably on your stock.
The burnishing oil looks interesting so will give it a go as well.
Good thing I have plenty of well used Sakos to experiment on.

Hello. I have a AAA CLARO BISHOP OR FAJAN SEMI INLETTED BLANK. I’m in need of one of two things.
1) An L461 action OR
2) A buyer for the action.

I will answer all mssgs to [email protected]

Thank you,
Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since this thread is not limited to Sako's, allow me to share 3 different stock blanks that I could not help but have custom wood work done for production barreled actions.
Left is an English Walnut stock for a Winchester barreled action and one of the last made by Fajen before it originally went into bankruptcy (?) and bought out by another outfit, which they contracted for checkering to California. I liked the European style Stippling combined with the scroll (?) work which was also done at the same time and same style with the middle rifle, which is of South Texas Mesquite wood at times found to be highly figured. The rifle on the right is also of South Texas Mesquite wood but was so figured I could not bring myself to have it checkered. It is a Rem Mountain rifle barreled action (7mm-08).
In my opinion the Arizona Mesquite wood and the South Texas Mesquite are very different as the South Tx is red while the Arizona is more yellowish and high figure usually found in a bifurcation of branches or trunk of equal diameter. To minimize worm holes once a suitable piece is found I have tied it off and thrown it into a pond and leave submersed for several months then hanged to dry before trimming to evaluate figuring, if any. mesquite stocks 1.jpg mesquite stocks 2.jpg

The mesquite wood is stunning. I like the Texas mesquite - as you say, our Arizona mesquite has a more yellowish color.

Here is an updated pic of my bitsa L46 with L461 .17 Rem barrel and Hatchers English Classic stock. Stock is now finished with true oil with a Jarrah forend tip and a old Kahles 3-9 in sako highs.
This rifle is made from a bare receiver my gunsmith gave me when he was about to retire. As a result it shares its bolt with an old .222 I have as well. All the other action bits (trigger, mag housing and bottom metal) were procured form a member of this site who was good enough to assist and make this rifle possible.
And Yes the bolt is missing the safety... No issue for me, as I never use them anyway and never close the bolt on a round if I'm not about to shoot..
This to me is a better outcome than the receiver being cut in half which, would have otherwise been the case.

Attachments

• 20210313_080652.jpg
    20210313_080652.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 43
Good looking rifle, and the forend tip is a nice addition. We don't see much Jarrah wood here in the USA.

Thanks, the Jarrah was a piece left over from a bed head I made my son the year he has born in 1990. It is beautiful wood and hard as nails, literally. It was once used in building frames and once seasoned, you need to predrill every nail or you have no hope.
It is too expensive these days so is now mainly used for furniture and outdoor use where it's qualities shine over softer less durable eucalyptus species.

Here is another Cameron Hatcher Classic English sporter .Pancake removed and a Ringed Gidyea forend and pistol grip cap added

Attachments

• 873397EE-9C15-4506-B9D1-C3712128239A.jpeg
    873397EE-9C15-4506-B9D1-C3712128239A.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 57
  • E35A3CDC-1D0A-487F-8785-B05443E3304E.jpeg
    E35A3CDC-1D0A-487F-8785-B05443E3304E.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 61
  • F79C83ED-94D9-4606-BB31-2CBD4AD8C93E.jpeg
    F79C83ED-94D9-4606-BB31-2CBD4AD8C93E.jpeg
    581.2 KB · Views: 55
  • E045F319-D555-4F53-8029-63916F4E4D45.jpeg
    E045F319-D555-4F53-8029-63916F4E4D45.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 56
6x471, Another L46, what call? The Ringed Gidgee is one of the few Australian timbers that would be harder than Jarrah.
I haven't shot my Hatchers stock yet, but it does feel quite good. Have you shot yours and how do you find it?

That rifle started life as a 222 but was rebarreled and is now chambered in 218 Bee.

I learnt a lesson when I fitted that forened tip.

Cutting the barrel channel by hand was a real challenge.

Next time I will buy a router

Found this old pic of the 17-222 I built some years ago.

It's a factory single-shot L461 action, with a 28" Pac-Nor 3 groove 9" twist barrel.....in a factory Sako "PPC-BR" stock. I later installed a Canjar single-set trigger.

Works great on PD's.

Hopefully, the pic works. (edit: Dang.....it worked!!:) )

(edit #2: The rangefinder has also changed.......to a Leica Vector 21, with a 3x boost)

29z34pl_zps86138c6b.jpg

Last edited:
This newbie was kept up late transfixed by the beautiful customs in this thread!
I am now motivated to wax up my first custom rifle...that just happened to be built on a Sako action. We will call it “The Beauty” lol. I’ll post some pictures tomorrow.
For now, I’ll post a picture of my a latest, perhaps last, custom rifle...
we will call it...“The Beast”:
00DB732F-F4C2-4F6E-B0D7-DAF4383B3EE3.jpeg
I do apologize for the crappy picture and the crick in your necks trying to view it.
I will try to up my iPhone photography level a little next time.
The rifle is a .300WM built on a Defiance Deviant action with a 25” Proof Research barrel.
I built it for an elk hunt I hope to make one day and it is a serious tack driver.
I topped it with a Leopold VX-6HD 3-15x44 CDS...which I’m now reconsidering because I don’t know if this old man can really trust dialing a scope versus good ol fashioned hold-over.

Latest posts

Back