• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Calling all customs!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Is the stock the same color/texture throughout or is it a painted type finish? Do you know who made the stock? Gotta love those VarTargs!
I think it is solid and not painted, but I really can't remember having taken it out of the stock to look. No idea of the stock maker, but I'm sure it could be identified by someone knowledgeable of the various synthetic stock makers.

Not only are Vartargs easy to love like a child, but, unlike children, the small powder charges and tiny bullets make them relatively cheap to feed, too.

I was just checking the trajectory of the 156 Lapua at 2550 fps on the JBM ballistics site and was surprised that it shoots much flatter than I would have expected. You don't necessarily have to have a pointy boat-tailed spitzer at 3300 fps to make 300 yard shots.
The marketing forces (read that as propaganda) since the turn of the century have skewed perceptions about range capabilities of many of the tried & true cartridge/bullet combinations. I much prefer heavy for caliber well constructed bullets at moderate velocity over any pointy, high speed pill for hunting, but alas, I am in the minority. The obsession with velocity & flatter trajectory for "long range" hunting has blinded people to the fact that any difference in these trajectories with regard to hunting is inconsequential for all practical purposes. Round nose bullets have many attributes from a terminal performance standpoint that the pointy, ballistically "superior" bullets can only wish they had. After all, it's what the bullet does when it makes contact with the animal that counts, not how it got there! I can't think of very many factory loads with round nose bullets one can buy & many of the bullet makers have dropped most of them from their product line. Makes it hard to even handload them. My favorite 30 cal bullets are the 180 grain & 200 grain Hornady Interlock Round Nose. My supply is down to less than 30 bullets & Hornady has discontinued them. Those bullets are real thumpers on elk, moose & big bears, but I'm too old to chase after them critters anymore, anyway. Just had to vent about yet another loss for our sport. Thanks for putting up with me.

I think it is solid and not painted, but I really can't remember having taken it out of the stock to look. No idea of the stock maker, but I'm sure it could be identified by someone knowledgeable of the various synthetic stock makers.

Not only are Vartargs easy to love like a child, but, unlike children, the small powder charges and tiny bullets make them relatively cheap to feed, too.
The stock looks like it might be from Pacific research/Rimrock. Heavy emphasis on might. The slim shape and texture was sort of their signature early on.

Last edited:
L579 in .308 Win rebarreled with a Krieger stainless barrel, custom made carbon stock with Tikka T3 cheek piece, modified for detachable magazine. At the moment fitted with a Minox ZE5i 2-10x50 in Optilock, and an RCC Carbon 44 Compact silencer.
Pic from a moose hunt in northern Sweden last September.
9ee038024426a74674d74743e79ac648.jpg

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A6003 via Tapatalk

Thanks!
Actually it's a design from a benchrest shooter here in Sweden, only for the L579 action. He made a mold and there has been a small number of stocks made out of it, both fiberglass and carbon fiber. I'm very happy to have been able to buy one!
The stock came as a blank and I bedded it, fitted recoil pad, flush cups and sprayed it with Duracoat.

Here are a couple of more pictures from when it was newly painted with grip surfaces, and from the first shooting (with another barrel).
cd26ae2bd04868133c7b6601ea219f9b.jpg
c1c3cc2576d8f54c4c38809f8ac46e07.jpg
33da48bf9366eff0bd8b0499db19f344.jpg
1efe0b7dab705baf413f3252829403ee.jpg

Really like what you did with the stock! Does that suppressor come back over the barrel or is your barrel cut that short? We can get them both ways here.

The barrel is cut to 45 cm which is minimum legal barrel length for rifles in Sweden. The supressor comes back 8 cm over the barrel and has a total length of 18 cm.

I can't claim the whittling - I sourced the semi finished (shaped) stock blank from Hatchers Riflestocks: http://hatchersriflestocks.com.au/products-21/classic-varmint.html

I did the final shaping/smoothing, fitted the butt pad and applied a hand rubbed oil finish.

I should have also mentioned that the custom stock route meant I could have something built that better fits me; I'm a lean 6'4" with long arms, bigs hands and long fingers so factory stocks don't usually fit very well. Generally when holding the pistol grip my forefinger can reach around and sit comfortably on the front of the trigger guard. Cam Hatcher was good to work with and provided a stock style with a nice open grip and length of pull that fits much better, and I suspect I shoot better because of it.

Marcus

Hello Marcus,

Thanks very much for posting your photos. I too have a semi-inletted stock from Cameron Hatcher. Mine, also using his English walnut, is the "Classic English Sporter" design. I expect to add an ebony forend tip and, once complete, it will fit my rebarreled, modified L579 in 7mm-08. Seeing your work has encouraged me to finish some other projects and get to work on the Sako.

DCD

Hello Marcus,

Thanks very much for posting your photos. I too have a semi-inletted stock from Cameron Hatcher. Mine, also using his English walnut, is the "Classic English Sporter" design. I expect to add an ebony forend tip and, once complete, it will fit my rebarreled, modified L579 in 7mm-08. Seeing your work has encouraged me to finish some other projects and get to work on the Sako.

DCD
I look forward to seeing it! Even better, how about some progress photos?

Marcus

Marcus.,
I see pics of your rifle on Cameron Hatchers web site.
I noticed them when ordering a new stock for an L46 action I have put an old .17 Rem barrel on from a L461.
My stock arrived the other day, so I spent most of yesterday fitting the action into the new classic English sporter's inletting.
Main tasks were cutting a slot in the side to allow the bolt handle to close and two recess for the bolt release mechanism and ejection opening.
Next was sanding. By the end of the day the bulk of the machine marks had been sanded out and I've laid out where I'm going to thin the forearm down some.
So I'm now on the lookout for a but plate and pistol grip cap that will work. I have a couple of old original Sako ones but they are not a good fit and I'm keen to do something a little different anyway.
Not sure yet if I'll just shape the forearm end or look for some suitable material to fit instead.
I'll take a pic or two later and post. My plan is to pass it on to my grand son in a few years time. Will shorten the beat up original stock for him and then have the "new" stock for once he has grown.
ATM I'm planning to Finnish with True Oil. You said you applied a hand rubbed Finnish to yours?
Cheers
Colin

Marcus.,
I see pics of your rifle on Cameron Hatchers web site.
I noticed them when ordering a new stock for an L46 action I have put an old .17 Rem barrel on from a L461.
My stock arrived the other day, so I spent most of yesterday fitting the action into the new classic English sporter's inletting.
Main tasks were cutting a slot in the side to allow the bolt handle to close and two recess for the bolt release mechanism and ejection opening.
Next was sanding. By the end of the day the bulk of the machine marks had been sanded out and I've laid out where I'm going to thin the forearm down some.
So I'm now on the lookout for a but plate and pistol grip cap that will work. I have a couple of old original Sako ones but they are not a good fit and I'm keen to do something a little different anyway.
Not sure yet if I'll just shape the forearm end or look for some suitable material to fit instead.
I'll take a pic or two later and post. My plan is to pass it on to my grand son in a few years time. Will shorten the beat up original stock for him and then have the "new" stock for once he has grown.
ATM I'm planning to Finnish with True Oil. You said you applied a hand rubbed Finnish to yours?
Cheers
Colin

G'day Colin.

I used Organoil on my stock:

https://www.naturaltimberoils.com.au/uploads/downloads/Burnishing_Technique_for_finishing_timber.pdf

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2329843...MI2M6E3Ki57gIVvp1LBR1Z5QZoEAsYASABEgJqCPD_BwE

https://bestbuytradesupplies.com.au...MI-4rStKe57gIV1KiWCh2ZUwGrEAAYASAAEgL2UfD_BwE

Marcus

Hi Marcus, Thanks for posting the links. I have used Organ Oil Outdoor Furniture oil in the past but was not familiar with their Burnishing oil.
I have ordered some, so will follow the instructions and give it a go.
Cheers,
Colin

G
Hi Marcus, Thanks for posting the links. I have used Organ Oil Outdoor Furniture oil in the past but was not familiar with their Burnishing oil.
I have ordered some, so will follow the instructions and give it a go.
Cheers,
Colin

G'day Colin. I used the Outdoor furniture oil on my stock.

Marcus

Also, if you do decide to give Tru-oil a go at any stage have a read of this:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331108

It details how Armourall can be used with Tru-oil to get it to harden off very much quicker. I finished my Brno Mod2 and Sako A1 stocks using this method. I managed to get 5 coats on the Brno stock in one day. I have previously found it takes a couple of days for Tru-oil to harden off.

Couple of pics of the A1 here: https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/some-a1-small-game.15967/#post-88013

Marcus

Back