• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

"California" Crud?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
No disparagement meant toward the Golden State; I'll explain why the title:

As I said in another thread, I've had poor luck with Sakos in 7mm Rem Mag. I don't think it is the cartridge, and certainly not the caliber as I've had great luck with two Sako .280's and two Sako 7x64's -- and even a TRGs in 7STW. I'm not superstitious and attribute my lack of success with the 7mm RM to the luck of the draw and not something inherent in the chambering. So, when I came across a really nice, very clean Bofors Deluxe in 7mm RM for sale from a California shop at an attractive price I decided to "try again".

When I received it everything appeared in great condition. It was only after firing it a couple of times that I realized that some Einstein had "adjusted" the trigger by loosening the mounting screw. When the firing pin was down the trigger would thus swing back and forth inside the trigger guard quite freely! This allowed the sear's engagement to barely catch, thus achieving his desired light pull. SHEESH! Fortunately, no permanent harm was done and I was able to restore the trigger to its proper mounting and adjusted to a crisp 2.75 lbs.

Looking down the bore everything looked great -- nice sharp riflings and no visible powder residue, and it appeared that maybe the seller had at least run a patch down the bore before marketing it. So I properly tightened the action screws, mounted a Leupold VX-II 3-9X, took it to the bench, and bore-sighted it. Before moving from the 50 yard target where I bore-sighted I decided to fire a couple more shots to assure everything was as it should be. Whoops! It seemed to be walking around. "Must be these crummy factory loads I dug out of the back of the closet" I thought to myself.

So I quickly cobbled together some handloads with a dependable 150 grain Sierra and returned to the range. Two shots at 50 yards landed four inches apart. Well, 'taint the ammunition.

I checked all of the usual suspects -- scope mounts, scope adjustments, etc. No ding on the muzzle crown. Nothing would explain the shotgun accuracy. So I decided that maybe I should clean the barrel before proceeding further. Shot it full of foaming bore cleaner, waited a half-hour, then ran a patch through it. Talk about BLUE! That was about the bluest patch I've ever seen come out the end of a barrel. I ran several more patches through, then refilled it with foam, waited another hour and cleaned it again. The blue seemed to subside by the third patch down the barrel.

Now, the reason for the title "California Crud". This rifle has obviously seen very few shots down the barrel, but it was copper-coated but good. As most are aware, California adopted a no-lead regulation a number of years ago due to large raptors supposedly being poisoned by carrion killed with lead bullets. Barnes was about the only monometal bullet originally available, and the early Barnes monos smeared copper like a Crayola on a hot sidewalk. Not knocking Barnes as they eventually came up with a fix for this, but this is the second barrel I've seen (apparently) seriously impacted by copper fouling from early Barnes bullets.

I won't know if this was the problem until I can get back to the range (maybe tomorrow morning), but I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience with copper fouling from monometals.

By the way, the other rifle with copper fouling came with some ammunition from the prior owner -- yes, original Barnes monos in handloads. But its fouling is so bad that "ordinary" cleaning methods have thus far failed me and I'm still looking for a solution (if there is one) to restoring this barrel.

Some time since I've been to this great Forum as 'life happening'! The problem you mention and impact of the "save the condors" or some such legislation; "manifest"! For me, not in guns, but prohibiting certain rat poisons for the same "food chain" rationale. Now, some areas in Ca, rats are flourishing. For many of us, principally a matter of greater caution in not leaving barbecue remnants and such which attract them. For some communities, a large problem. For my immediate neighbour, they chewed up his vehicle wiring! Apparently, "green movement away from oil", wiring insulation in most newer vehicles as "vegetable based" replacing "oil based" plastics or whatever!
So what does this have to do with your yet sounding nice Sako. 'It', simply part of the ripple effect of such legislation; where it leads far beyond "intended" as projected effect! California is often on the cutting edge... Just the double edged sword phenomena, cutting both ways!
I'm in California for 6 decades as ever explaining to my Internet gun buddies... Where you live, for most of us buying into a package. Climate yet one of the big attractions, but casual beach lifestyle as adjacent to about any goods & services to be imagined. For those of us living here such decades, home appreciation, phenomenal! Gun laws the S**ts! But personally, minimal impact. Our new SCOTUS, may mitigate some of that! The "concealed carry", a shot across the bow. Now if they will just follow on... A great open question in light of huge issues of all sorts arrayed, vying for their attention!
Anyway... Good luck with what sounds like a very nice rifle. I have half dozen Sakos. All Finnbear. One, a 20" full stock in .375 H&H.... Don't do that! A bargain, one matter, "unleashing the beast" as whiplash, quite another. I'm long time Win Model 70 CRF fan, but Sakos with their own allure as they do "Rock!" :)
Best!
John

Well, went back to the range this morning and it 'taint the barrel and it 'taint the bullets. I even changed the scope and mounts. At 100 yards one shot went 9" left and the next two went heaven knows where because they were completely off the target and the backboard.

I've never seen a bedding problem scatter shots this widely. I'm stumped since the rifle is in beautiful shape all around and has no visible issues. Will try putting a little shim under the barrel to add to the up pressure in the forearm and see if this changes anything -- but I'm not very hopeful. Maybe I am cursed when it comes to the 7mm RM.

You know that "up pressure" doesn't account for 9 inches of disparity plus. For that much error it has to be an array of problems, including the loads. I had one rifle that did that. It was a 100 winchester. Bullets and mounts were all guilty not to mention my reloading equipment needed cleaning. (hugely). It was passed to a "new" person....hopefully one with more patience and savvy.

It's the rifle & not you. Perhaps rechambered with original caliber stamping left without change designating a wildcat? That is a huge pattern or no pattern at all.
Get rid of it unless you like the challenge of "Gordian knots". There are plenty of 7mm Rem Mags out there and better yet a 7MM-08.

But its fouling is so bad that "ordinary" cleaning methods have thus far failed me and I'm still looking for a solution (if there is one) to restoring this barrel.
There used to be "electronic" gun cleaning gadgets that were essentially reverse electroplating kits. There was a rod you put down the barrel, you filled it with electrolyte and sealed both ends, then applied an electric current. The copper would migrate from the barrel to the rod. I've even seen instructions on how to build such a setup using an old hobby transformer/powerpack of some kind. I haven't seen one of these gadgets advertised in years, but I remember reviews back then that showed the gadgets to be quite effective. I may have some info somewhere on these devices; if so I'll post it.

On a side note, Swedish military ammo has very soft jacket material. It took me a couple of years to get the copper out of my Swedish sniper rifle, spending half an hour or more scrubbing with Shooters Choice or Sweets 7.62 every time I shot the rifle.

Stone......

With my badly fouling 17's........the foam alone won't cut it.

In between foam treatments, scrub with bronze bore brush and your favorite bore cleaner. Mine is 2 parts Shooters Choice and 1 part Kroil.
You may have "layered" fouling.

Still.........not hitting the backboard??????.........wow!!!!

Hope this helps.

It's the rifle & not you. Perhaps rechambered with original caliber stamping left without change designating a wildcat? That is a huge pattern or no pattern at all.
Get rid of it unless you like the challenge of "Gordian knots". There are plenty of 7mm Rem Mags out there and better yet a 7MM-08.
I'll fiddle with it a little while longer, mainly because I've never seen this kind of problem before -- at least not in a Sako. If it doesn't work out it won't represent a hole in my shooting choices since I have both a great .280 and 7x64, either of which comes within 50 fps of a 7mm RM. In fact, my .280 has what many people term a "fast" barrel that shoots a 150 grainer at 3050 fps -- something that many 7mm RM's apparently have a tough time exceeding.

But mainly, I hate to give up on a pristine Bofors Deluxe in a caliber I otherwise don't own. I'm beginning to think that the 7mm RM just personally hates me. I guess that's because I've always told people that it is a compromise which is too large for a long range precision shooter and too small for a heavy hitter for larger game. Neither fish nor fowl as some might say.

Latest posts

Back