• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L46 c1957 L46 with Hart .222 Rem. Barrel, and c1954 L46 20 VarTarg Barrel

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

TheCZKid

New to the site, been looking off an on as I now have two Sako rifles.

Here's my first Sako I got about a year ago, which started as a .222, and was made into a 20 VarTarg. Has a Shillen match barrel, and put on a Leupold 6.5-20x40mm Varmint Reticle scope. This is my newest sage rat slayer.
Scope Mounted.jpg

Next is my 222, which has a Hart 222 in 1:14 twist, the Weaver scope shown is not current, I put on a Leupold 6.5-20x50mm Varmint Reticle.
Sako 222_01.jpg

I'll bet those are hair-splitters! Especially the Vartarg. Looks like the Vartarg has a very nicely redone factory stock, while the .222 has a nice custom stock. Congrats on owning two good-looking Sakos which are almost certainly the cat's whiskers when it comes to accuracy.

Thanks for saying hello!
The 222 I just got and mounted a scope, so I only shot it once. I have no real idea how it will end up shooting, but hoping it's great.

The 20VT I've been testing loads for, and I think I might have a final load, it likes RL-7 and N120 a lot. These I shot last Saturday, very happy to be doing some final testing hopefully next couple days, weather depending.
20VT RE7 18 gr.jpg

N120 17.7 32 V-max
20VT N120.jpg

That's the kind of girl you take home to introduce to mother!

I use 19.5 grains of AA2200 in my Vartarg with 32 grain bullets, which yields about 3650 fps. AA2200 has been very good for me, but I can't argue with how your two powders are doing.

Mine likes AA2200 also, so I can understand yours liking it too. Mine did surprisingly well with CFE-BLK too, which my 17 Hornet does well with. With components, like powders, primers, and even bullets, I had to scour the lands for the RL-7 and N120.
2200.jpg

CFE BLK.jpg

Last edited:
I'll bet those are hair-splitters! Especially the Vartarg. Looks like the Vartarg has a very nicely redone factory stock, while the .222 has a nice custom stock. Congrats on owning two good-looking Sakos which are almost certainly the cat's whiskers when it comes to accuracy.
I'm new to Sako's and was curious about the 222 being a custom stock. I thought both the 20VT and 222 were original, but, like I said, I'm new to these. I had a friend tell me I needed a 20VT, and I didn't argue with that sentiment :cool:

Both beautiful rifles. If I could only choose one it would be the VT - that’s a gorgeous factory stock and it shoot’s extremely well too!

Marcus

I finally shot the 20 Vartarg at my main intended target, sage rats here in Central Oregon. Went to Fort Rock on Memorial Day, and got to stretch its legs. Really fun caliber, and the sage rats were pretty excited too, they were flying in the air, doing airborne acrobatics, and turning inside out :D

Fort Rock May 23C.jpg

Did you go, and how was the scouting and sage rat action?
I’m in Bend/Sunriver until tomorrow morning, then we head to Mt. Vernon/John Day for about 10 days. Found out today I actually did not draw antelope or bighorn sheep, but did draw mule deer and elk. Oh well, just wish I could get the bighorn tag before I’m too old.

The south fork is rough country off the Aldrich Range. Maybe we’ll see some nice rams. Typically we see several and the wild horses too. Thanks for checking in, hopefully I’ll have some decent pictures to share.

Edit: We decided to go this route related to lodging. Still love the wall tent but we’re not getting any younger.

Attachments

• IMG_3441.jpeg
    IMG_3441.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back