Bullet Seating For Sako AV .270?

Discussion in 'Hand loading your Sako' started by HBHUNTER, Jun 11, 2019.

1. HBHUNTER

HBHUNTER Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Sako Reloaders, I have a question for determining bullet seating. How far should I start off the lands & grooves in an AV? I've read some forums that indicate starting at .020-inch to .040-inch. I will shoot each load to see what happens on paper for grouping but will measure the OAL once I follow the typical process for bullet seating depth for Nosler 140 and 150's Partitions and Accubonds. Any suggestions or experience with this Sako chamber may save me some time. Your comment(s) would be appreciated Thanks, HB Hunter.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    No one can tell you what the "best" seating depth is for any particular bullet in "your" rifle. That's up to you to determine through trial & error. There are no short cuts! The Sako chamber is no different than any other gun built to CIP/SAAMI standards. An AV in 270 Win is obviously a hunting rifle, so an OAL that won't fit in the magazine is probably not a good idea. Start with the longest OAL that will function or not be on the lands & work back in increments. Changing OAL may or may not make a difference. Only experimenting will tell.

3. HBHUNTER

HBHUNTER Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Paulsonconstruction: thanks for your reply. I plan on doing exactly what you have suggested. I know every bullet manufacture and rifle action needs to go through the process. Safe trial and test! I’ll take my time and I look forward to the results. Thanks again. HBHUNTER.