• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Browning Sakos in a set of Exhibition Grade Olympians

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

douglastwo

Sako-addicted
I was looking through some of my old RI Auction catalogs and came across a set of Browning Olympians they sold at auction in May 2005. It was a set of 20 Olympians built on special order in the mid 60's. The 20 rifles represents one of each caliber and barrel weight as shown in the 1966 Browning catalog for the USA. The rifles have consecutive serial numbers from 7X40001 through 7X40020. The Browning Sakos are serial numbers 40001 through 40010. The FN action Brownings are serial number 40011 through 40020. A few of the features that set these 20 rifles apart from the standard production Olympian are as follows:
1. The engravers were free to engrave different animal scenes.
2. Serial numbers 40001 and 40020 were 100% engraved, including the barrel.
3. The area across the top of the receiver rings was engraved, as well as the bolt handle.
4. All barrel markings are hand engraved.
5. All rifles have front and rear sights.
The Sako action calibers are: 222 Pencil, 222 HB, 222 Mag Pencil, 222 Mag HB, 22-250 Pencil, 22-250 HB, 243 Pencil, 243 HB, 284 Win Pencil and 308 Win Pencil.

Here's a couple scans of the catalog photos of the beautiful Browning Sakos.
BrowningSako 1 222Pencil & HB.jpg BrowningSako 2 22-250Pencil & HB.jpg BrowningSako 3 284Win & 308Win.jpg

A collection of great value that should be in a museum. I can only wonder if the set remained together or was broken up. Sakojim.

IIRC, another thing unusual about the 10 Sako action Olympians is that 6 of them have a cross bolt (recoil lug) in the stock. The four 222's do not have a cross bolt, which is normal. The other 6 rifles are an unusual lot because they have a cross bolt in the stock. Even more unusual is the fact the cross bolt is at the rear of the action. Normally, when the stock has 1 cross bolt, it is at the front of the action. It's very unusual and rare to see a cross bolt on the 22-250, 243 and 284. The 308 can be a toss up. On the FN Brownings, cross bolts are even more confusing. On the FN rifles, the cross bolt can be front or back, or both, and diameter can vary.

.... I can only wonder if the set remained together or was broken up. Sakojim.

One person purchased all of them as a set. The auction house bid them individually, then added the individual bids together for the bid starting amount on all 20 as a set.

Latest posts

Back