• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Browning/Sako Safari

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

jambrdly

Hello: I recently purchased this Browning Safari on a Sako action. Can anyone tell me the type of action used based on the photo? The serial # is 91172B. Any idea as to year of manufacture? I went to the Browning site but they don't list the Safari models. I haven't had a chance to shoot this one yet but it's very well balanced and handles like a Rigby.

Attachments

• IMG_2153.jpeg
    IMG_2153.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 18
Hello: I recently purchased this Browning Safari on a Sako action. Can anyone tell me the type of action used based on the photo? The serial # is 91172B. Any idea as to year of manufacture? I went to the Browning site but they don't list the Safari models. I haven't had a chance to shoot this one yet but it's very well balanced and handles like a Rigby.
What caliber? Browning used the Sako L579 medium action for .308, .243, etc. and the L461 action for the .222 family.

Then it's an L579 action. I think Weaver still lists scope mount bases for it.There's a fairly recent thread on how to find bases for the various round-top Sako actions; you might want to look it up if you need mounts.

One thing I don't understand: The L579 had integral bases whereas the Browning/Sako Safari .243 I have does not. It has been drilled for base mounts. Any idea who makes a base mount that would fit this Browning/Sako receiver contour?

After looking at the Sako, Browning and NRA sites, I think this .243 was made in 1965.

The Sako actions made for Browning were made according to Browning's specification, to be similar to the Mauser action with its unequal height front and rear rings. To mount a scope, you will have to locate bases made specifically for this model. And to add to the confusion, the dimensions changed during production, so you need to be sure you have exactly the right base. I seem to recall that somebody recently posted some detailed information on these mounts, but I couldn't locate it. You will need to know the hole spacing on your rifle, and I believe there's also another variable but I don't recall exactly what. You might try searching around using various relevant search terms.

One thing I don't understand: The L579 had integral bases whereas the Browning/Sako Safari .243 I have does not. It has been drilled for base mounts. Any idea who makes a base mount that would fit this Browning/Sako receiver contour?

After looking at the Sako, Browning and NRA sites, I think this .243 was made in 1965.
I've attached a couple cheat sheets I put together to help me. There's too many exceptions, if ands or buts to rely on my memory. But my first question is, can you look at your serial number again to see if you might have read it wrong. To begin with, Browning reserved the "B" serial numbers for medium action Olympian rifles made between 1963 and 1968. Normally, no B was used for Safaris or Medallions. However, Browning was a lot like Sako and there are a lot exceptions that are documented. To determine what mount you need, measure the hole spacing for the 2 screws that hold the mount at the front of the action. They will be spaced either 3/4" or 7/8" apart. A lot of manufacturers made mounts for these, but I'm only familiar with one piece Browning and one piece Redfield.

For 3/4" spacing the following will work.
Browning mount use Model 1679 or Model 8917. Both of these are stamped with BG on the bottom of the mount.
Redfield mount use Model 511144. This mount is stamped with BG, usually on bottom, but sometimes on the side.

For 7/8" spacing the following will work.
Browning mount use Model 1674 or Model 8417. Both of these are stamped with BL on the bottom of the mount.
Redfield mount use Model 511131. This mount is stamped with BL, usually on bottom, but sometimes on the side.
Browning Ring Base Info.jpg
Browning Serial Number.jpg

My sako/ browning 243w ser no 11927 has Talley bases & rings.

Latest posts

Back