Browning/Sako book

Discussion in 'Other firearms built on Sako actions' started by robinpeck, Jan 12, 2017.

1. robinpeck

robinpeck Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I picked up a book in local used book store today titled: Matt Eastman’s Guide to Browning Belgium Sporting Firearms 1903-1994. Chapter Four is titled: Fabrique Nationale & Sako Bolt Action Rifles and has 25 long large pages on this subject. All sorts of very specific information on the Sako built Brownings: serial numbers, dates, barrel twist rates and rare calibers. I think this also may be a fairly rare book.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Robin,

Great find! I'd be interested in buying your book when you are done with it. Drop me a line via Private Conversation.

3. dphauto

dphauto Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    That is a great find! I have never heard of this man or his books until now, could you please provide the ISBN for this book I would like to find a copy for myself.
    Thanks

4. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Robin you'll enjoy Eastman's book. I know he has published at least a half dozen or so books about Brownings that address the Browning FN and Sako action rifles. I have two of his books that are slightly different, and per your description of your book, my two must be different from yours. My oldest Eastman book is noted as the First Edition with Eastman as the publisher and Walker Printing did the book in 1994. It makes no mention of an ISBN number. It is titled Browning Sporting Arms of Distinction 1903-1992 and it is over 400 pages, and the Browning/Sako action rifles are in Chapter Ten starting on page 231 and ending on page 278. My second Eastman book was printed by Safari Press in 1998 and it has an ISBN number of 1-57157-1140. It is only slightly different from the 1994 edition. Both books have a lot of great pictures and while they have a few inaccuracies, overall they are very accurate.

5. robinpeck

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    Its a large format paperback, approx. 8.5 x 11 in. with 140 thick glossy (heavy) pages. Marked 1st edition and first printing, 1994 but no ISBN.
    It lists Matt Eastman as the author and the publisher. At the front it lists the six other books on Brownings that he has written and/or published. Not a lot of pictures but a lot of hard information.

I also note that Matthew Eastman recently passed away:
    (http://www.currentobituary.com/member/obit/186892)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  6. LennyM

LennyM Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
  7. robinpeck

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I now have a PDF of the Sako chapter that I can email to any interested.

Just send me an email address.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  8. Savage 250-3000

Savage 250-3000 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Tennessee
    Hello. I am a new member and am still getting oriented with the forum section. I would love to receive a PDF of the chapter. How do I send you my E-mail address, should I just include it here? I will start with that' let me know if more info needed.
    gregchurch63@comcast.net

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  9. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    An excellent addition to our knowledge base. Many thanks for sharing this with us.

rick

10. adirondacks

adirondacks Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Greetings,

I have a couple browning Sakos and would appreciate your pdf file. My e-mail srkubricky@aol.com

Thank you,
    Adirondacks

11. robinpeck

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    sent

12. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Guys, be wise. Start a conversation with ribinpick and send your email address privately instead of putting it out in the thread for all of the world to see. Just my two cents for security.

rick

13. The Virginian

The Virginian Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    I have a Browning /Sako .22-250 that I bought as a barreled action around 1972 and would love more information on it. BTW first time I fired it made a one hole 3 leaf clover at 200 yards. I was very happy as I had spent a number of years building it. Thank you.

14. susanna

susanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales