• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Browning Safari .243 pencil with sights (Sako Barreled Action)

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

woodman

I just purchased a Browning Safari .243 pencil barrel with sights. Made in 1969 with a Sako barreled action. I hope its as good as the seller says. Suppose to be a non saltwood gun, new and unfired in the original box. I have a 3 day inspection period.

I cant wait to get my hands on this baby. Anybody here own one of these? How do you like it and how do these pencil barrels shoot? If it is as clean as I am thinking I may just have a new safe queen.

I will post some pix when she arrives

Woodman

Congratulations on a great find! Can't wait to hear how ya like it, and oogle over the pictures!:evil2:-Bloo

They're exquisite little rifles. The pencil barrels are a little whippy and heat up quickly, so don't expect it to shoot a large number of shots into a small group. I'd say shoot no more than three shots in about as many minutes and you'll find its accuracy to be similar to stiffer barrels. After all, it's the first shot from a cold barrel that counts when you're hunting.

In regard to saltwood, the best test is to remove one of the screws from the buttplate. If there's going to be any corrosion, it's almost certain to show up there.

Stonecreek,

Thanks for the info. I will definitely check those screws, and also going to pull the stock off and oil er up good.

Woodman, a good friend sold me one, also unfired & NIB 1966 model, a year ago for a bargain price. The wood and workmanship is exquisite, and I think the feel and balance of the rifle is first rate. Because it is so nice, I have only fired three rounds through it, so it's really not even broken for me to attest to its accuracy.

Bsmith,

Thats nice to hear, I'm really excited to get it. It will be like Christmas day as a kid when it gets here.

I have a browning safari .308 with sights and a pencil barrel.The rifle was used when i bought it and it shoots 1 and a half
too two inch groups so long as i do my part, not moa, but minute of deer for sure.It is by far the nicest looking rifle i own.The nicest thing about it how it balances in my hands and it trail carries like a lever gun you will love it. Happy hunting

Anybody ever seen these with a factory recoil pad? I came across one today with a browning pad, but I thought they all came with just the butt plate. Maybe the stock was changed at a later date for salt?

Looks just like the pad they put on the magnums but I am pretty sure the non magnums like the sako's came with the plate. Kind of strange.

Looks like the owner wanted to increase his LOP. Those don't come with pads, just plates. The plates are very hard to find.-Misako

Fishermen0105,

If you are interested in getting the factory Browning pad we could talk to sala-ampuja about making one for you. I could remove one of my plates and send it to him and he could make a mold for it. I've seen a lot of old FN's with broken or missing pads.

I would need as many measurements as you could give me like the lenght between screw holes center to center and the length and width. Is your butt straight or curved? It is suppose to be curved but some people have stock cut straight for a new pad install. If yours has been cut straight your options may be more limited.

woodman

Well, I was thinking about buying this one but did not. The owner claimed that pad was factory but I was pretty sure it was not. Also it was a '68 and figured there was a good chance the stock was salt. Thanks for the help though.

Latest posts

Back