Browning Med-Heavy barrel for 579

Discussion in 'Other firearms built on Sako actions' started by pcunder, Dec 2, 2018.

1. pcunder

pcunder Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Does anyone have one of these Belgian shaped barrels with the heavier contours for sale.?
    If not, could I get some critical measurements to make sure the beautiful stock o have will work.

Only a few calibers were avail IIRC like 22-250, 243, 284 & 308 so I’d consider any of them for a special project.

We’re the threads/pitch the same for Browning 579s as regular 579s?

Thx,
    Phil

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The Heavy Barrel Browning Safari L579 was only made in .243 and .22-250. The action was identical to those with the pencil barrel. Browning offered the L461 HB in .222 and .222 Magnum.

I have an HB Safari rifle in .243, but it is not for sale. What measurements do you need?

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Several barrel makers, Pac-Nor being one I have used, will do custom contouring to match any barrel you wish. If you don't have the barrel, then a detailed & precise drawing meeting the makers requirements should suffice. Some makers may have the "custom" contour on file for your particular barrel & be able to match it precisely. I would "assume" Browning acquired the actions from Sako already threaded, so the diameter & TPI would be the same. Don't have direct evidence of that, though! Your odds of finding the Browning barrel will be very small. Your best option is to communicate with a barrel maker about your needs & have them install the barrel in the contour & caliber you want. Good Luck!!!

4. pcunder

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Stone...thx for the info and the offer to measure.
    As you know, there are 3 steps on these barrels, so at the stock line, please measure: fore & aft ends of each step.... So 6 total dimensions.
    Also, how long is your 243 HB?

I'm assuming that when I see 'pencil' barrel listed, it is the thin barrel, correct?
    Or does that mean it's contour is clean with no sights?

Paulson, that's also good info. I imagine I'll eventually go that route after I give up my quest. I like the idea of choosing caliber.

Thanks guys,

Phil

5. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Actually, there are just two steps, one beginning about 1.75" in front of the receiver ring and the next beginning about 4.75" in front of the receiver ring. From that point there is what looks like a straight taper to the muzzle. I'll try to measure when I have time, as I'll have to take it out of the stock to do so since the scope hangs over the first step. The barrel is 24 inches as I recall, but I'll check that, also.

Yes, what is commonly referred to as the "pencil barrel" is a very lightweight sporter barrel which also has two steps. Pencil barrels were available both clean and with open sights. Heavy barrel models all came without sights. The Browning Safari HB's, although made by Sako, were a bit smaller at the muzzle and over all a bit lighter than the contemporaneous Sako HB models. Even so, the Safari is definitely a varminter and not a "heavy sporter".

6. pcunder

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks Stone... I hate for u to have to pull the stock off.

Working away from the receiver, the barrel groove on my stock is about:
    1 3/16", 1", and 7/8" in the middle of all 3 sections..

7. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I took the Safari L579 HB out of its stock and got the following measurements. But here are the notations to go with them. 1. These measurements are taken with the finest electronic caliper available for $9.95 from Harbor Freight & Tool. 2. Subject to the interpretation of sextagenarian eyes. 3. Too early in the day to have had my nerve tonic yet.

Barrel diameter at receiver: 1.17"
    Distance from front of receiver ring to beginning of first step: 1.75"
    Barrel diameter after 1st step: .985"
    Distance from front of receiver ring to beginning of second step: 4.8"
    Barrel diameter after 2nd step: .86"
    Muzzle diameter: .675"

The barrel appears to have a straight taper from below the second step to the muzzle.

8. pcunder

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Stone,

Have some tonic for me... Thank you for your invaluable assistance and knowledge..
    Well that cinches it; it appears that I DO have the heavy barrel stock. Sounded great when I bought it but I thought they were more popular & offered in more calibers.

My measurements of the wood are about .015" bigger than yours. Might be much closer had I not used the finest tape measure on the continent.

Well maybe a Browning/SAKO HB will come up for sale in the next several months.

If you had to have someone checker/oil finish a beautiful (mid-high grade) pre-inletted stocks to match Brownings pattern, where would you send it?
    (Gary, the guy at Nagel's that finished my 'Anniversary' stock, has retired or I'd just go back to him. Not sure I'd want the Olympian version but my timber would qualify... Maybe the Medallion.)

Thanks again,

Phil

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I suspect your measurements are pretty close to dead on -- after all, you're measuring the stock inletting, which has to be slightly larger than the metal that goes into it.

I couldn't say where to go for a fine checkering job. There are some good craftsmen out there (many of whom are women) who can do a great job, but most of them are backed up with orders and it can be a while before they can get to you. Maybe someone here on the Forum has a suggestion.

Hey, just about time for some "nerve tonic"!