Braggin' Time

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by stonecreek, Dec 24, 2020.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Here's my grandson (now Honors Engineering student at U. of Texas) with the buck he took on my place this week. Sako Deluxe .30-06, of course. One shot at 200 yards with a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip (loaded by grandpa). Pretty gnarly buck, eh?

20201221_175550 (931x1280).jpg

2. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Congrats fine looking boy and deer

3. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Nothing shabby about that buck, and a classic Sako. The deer's ear is in the way.....but with a slick no sight barrel, I'll guess the rifle is a round tang/push button release. Grandpa should be proud, handsome grandson, good grades, hunting with what was probably one of grandpa's Sako that was passed down to him and hunting on a Great State of Texas ranch. Nothing better that passing down Sakos to kids and grandkids. The stars are lining up for that young man !

4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Makes you feel better about the future. Merry Christmas!

5. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Correct. He got it for Christmas along with a similar one for his brother about three years ago. It matches the one his father got when he was 15. All are topped with a Leupold Century model 3-9X.

By the way, his dad killed a big hog with his Sako .30-06 last week. He stepped the distance off at 453 yards. Of course, he was exaggerating. We went back this week to the spot and lasered it at only 447 yards.

6. sws1213

sws1213 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Great picture, great story! I recently passed my beloved L61R .270 that my parents gave me when I graduated from high school over 50 years ago to my youngest son, when he graduated from Residency at University of Arkansas Medical Center as Chief Resident. No better feeling than passing those heirloom Sakos off to the next generation!

stonecreek and northernlights like this.
  7. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    What a fine grandson, stonecreek. I see a great future for him! Interestingly, I too have a grandson in engineering--at McGill University in Montreal (biomedical specialty) on scholarship. Unfortunately, however, I'll never have a picture like yours to show him in the hunting fields. He has no interest in guns or shooting--don't know where I've failed.;) None of my three daughters has shown the slightest interest in shooting (even though my wife has accompanied me on some hunting trips), and, so far, none of my grandkids has either.

8. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Every kid is his own person and you have every reason to be proud of your grandson in McGill -- its a prestigious institution. Who knows, one of these days a grandkid may make an offhand inquiry about your guns and hunting and surprise you with their new-found interest. You just never know -- and regardless, you're lucky to have those grandkids.

FLT, Backfencer and northernlights like this.
  9. Backfencer

Backfencer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Congrats to the grandson, grandfather, and dad as well! Fine specimen exhibited, and the kid ain't too shabby either! LOL

The boy and I are finally done filling our tags, with 4 deer in the freezer (mulies) and one cow elk. He will get a newer Sako .300 WinMag this morning topped with Leupold VX6 that I scored from a good friend. My friend always has to have "the next new thing", and when it's time to sell he prices at a deep discount and I happened to be at the right place at the right time. The boy has been wanting a .300 for quite a while, and this package will allow me to re-possess my Tikka .270WSM from him now! All our critters were taken with either a Tikka in .270 WSM or L571 .243

The Tikka surely isn't a classic like the L571's, but it's just a flat out killing machine! We've killed a large pile of deer with it over the years, a couple of moose, and last weekend I laid down a cow elk behind the house. I started at 492 yards and the 2nd shot was 586 yards. Recovered one bullet, and the 140gr Accubond was 122grs after it went completely through the boiler/lungs and a rib on the exit side and hung up on the hide. This was a big-boss cow as well. I can use this gun as a tool and not feel bad if it gets dinged/beat-up. Though I killed the best buck of my life with my father's L579 in .243 this year, with his reloads from 20 years ago. That was pretty cool.

10. Bottom Gun

Bottom Gun Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That is certainly a buck to be proud of.

11. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Jan 16-17 was the last weekend of the special extended youth season when hunters under 17 years old can take a buck in many Texas counties. Not to be outdone by his older brother, my younger grandson (age 15) took this buck on the same field from the same blind as his brother's a few weeks earlier. I was with him, and when this buck presented a good broadside at 200 yards he let loose with his Sako .30-06 (identical to his brother's rifle -- sorry I forgot to get it in the photo). The deer dropped in its tracks with a perfect shot. You'll note the effect of covid-19 restrictions on the grandson's hairdo, which will probably receive more remarks 20 years from now than will the buck in the photo.:D

DSC00679 (685x1024).jpg

12. Josey

Josey Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    Conrats nothing better than family hunting together

13. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Nice one!

Probably not much in the way of stalking techniques from the looks of that terrain.

14. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Nope, no stalking here, just hunting from a blind and hoping one you want comes into range and gives you a chance.

Well, let me modify that statement. I have had occasion to spot game on the far side of an open field too far for a shot, but was able to stalk the perimeter of the field under cover of overgrown fence lines or berms to a point that was close enough for a successful shot. This is actually the way I took the "charging boar" I talked about in a recent posting. Open country hunting has its challenges just as thick brush does.

15. coldspring

coldspring Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Louisiana
    Very nice!

16. RifleNutPPC

RifleNutPPC Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region: