Bought another. What is it?

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by RobertD, Dec 22, 2019.

1. RobertD

RobertD Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alabama
    Found a stainless .308 on a local deer hunting forum. Synthetic stock on it I'd love to trade for a wood or laminated if someone wants to.

It says Sako III (no A) on the left side of the action near the bolt. Bought an old Kahles Helia 8x56 to put on it. Also found a set of Optilock rings and bases, but alas, the rings were 30mm and that scope is 1".

The research I did led me to believe it is a Model 75. Can anyone offer any other info? This model marking is not listed many of the places I've looked. If it's a 75 why doesn't it say so on the action somewhere? Rifle is currently at my LGS where they've ordered the correct rings from Beretta and are mounting the scope and dialing it in for me. They do a great job. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, it is a Model 75. Sako never put the model designation on the rifle itself, only a designation for action length. The actions were the 75-1 for .222/223 and some PPC's; 75-III for .243/.308 etc.; 75-IV for .270/.30-06; and 75-V for the magnums. There was also a Model 75-SM (I think that's the designation) for the WSM series of cartridges.

RobertD likes this.
  3. RobertD

RobertD Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alabama
    I read a review online of a 75 in a Varmint model. It had a set trigger that you pushed forward to get a light (9 ounces was mentioned I think) trigger break.

Are those triggers available for sale new or used? This is my 3rd Sako an I have not had any trouble with the triggers on the other two, but was intrigued with this idea.

Also thought about a spare magazine for mine. It holds 3 I think. Took the rifle on its maiden hunt Saturday and forgot to take any ammo. I picked up a box in my camper, and thought "nah, this is the only box I have in here, better leave it". Then I forgot to get the other box out of the truck. Wanted to look through the old 8x56 Kahles Helia I had mounted on it, but decided to leave it in my Samurai. I'll try t do better next time.

4. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Have you confirmed that 1" tube with a caliper or micrometer? A lot of Kahles scopes are 26mm rather than 1" (25.4mm). Cramming a 26mm scope into 1" rings can do some damage if the rings are machined to an honest 1". I recently bought a Kahles 6x42 scope that the seller claimed was 1" and it miked out at 26mm. Didn't bother me as I got it cheap and I have some rings that willl fit, but it's worth checking.

RobertD likes this.
  5. RobertD

RobertD Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alabama

No, I had no idea there was such a thing. I was under the impression all scopes were 1" or 30mm. The LGS got it mounted and it's working fine. I'll try to mike the barrel. Thanks for the tip. Scope is a low light monster and I love it.