Bore scope

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by 71Scamp, Sep 14, 2020.

1. 71Scamp

71Scamp Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Rogan Kinnear likes this.

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Seems like a suspiciously low price. I'd check major online sellers like Brownells and Midway to see if any of them handle it and if so, are there any reviews. Likewise a Google search for reviews. There might be something on YouTube. I have a Lyman that cost quite a bit more, and is generally regarded as the least expensive "good" bore scope. However, I've never actually used it (I grabbed it on sale) so can't give it a review.

3. 71Scamp

71Scamp Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
  4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The reviews are good, and they seem to be authentic, as they have a certain amount of detail to them. Note, however, that the manufacturer does solicit reviews and one reviewer describes a "free gift" scam to get his cell phone number. It's only 45 bucks with the online coupon and it's returnable, so for that money I'd say it might be worth a try. If you get one, do tell the rest of us how you like it.

5. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Icebear, I have one and I think it is a great scope for the money. I use it all the time after I buy a rifle. (I should be using it before buying). Gather up all your courage before you check out your rifles. You are likely to see a few things you wish you hadn't.

FLT likes this.
  6. RifleNutPPC

RifleNutPPC Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    I bought this Teslong from Amazon about a year ago, and was blown away with the brightness and clarity it has. I had purchased a Lyman prior to this, and returned it because it just wasn't clear enough to see much detail. The Teslong lets you see everything, and because it is powered by your phone (or computer) there's plenty of light. They are $79, well worth it. Here's the link:
    https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Bore...words=teslong+borescope&qid=1600174662&sr=8-5

7. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    FLT and RifleNutPPC like this.
  8. FLT

FLT Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Sage advice, I no longer use a bore scope unless there is a problem with accuracy. There is a learning curve involved with bore scope use and most folks are initially disappointed with what they see.

RifleNutPPC and CVCOBRA1 like this.
  9. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The borescope is an extremely useful gadget. but like any other gadget, it needs to be used with discretion. An ugly looking bore doesn't necessarily mean an inaccurate gun. Visible pitting in the bore may or may not affect accuracy. I have two Finnish Lahti pistols, one a military issue version that has quite a bit of pitting due to the gun being stored in the issue leather holster, the other a late civilian version in like-new condition. The pitted one consistently outshoots the like-new one. The keys to accuracy are that the throat is not badly eroded, the bore does not have anything in it that will destabilize the bullet, and the muzzle crown is undamaged. Another of my guns, a Swedish Mauser sniper rifle, has enough copper in it to support the Chilean mining industry for a year. I've been cleaning it with copper remover for years and the patches still come out blue. It shoots MOA. So, by all means use a bore scope - but understand that what it tells you requires interpretation.

RifleNutPPC and CVCOBRA1 like this.
  10. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    I use a bore lite
    Never runs out, can add a torch to it if you want more light, fits on pocket so you can take it out when looking for rifles very easily. Makes it easy to take pics of your bore or just do a visual with your eye. Costs between 5 and 15 dollars on your country. A few pics below of one of my rifles bores. This had torchlight directed on the bore lite because it was dark in that room. Screenshot_20200929-134216_eBay.jpg 20200826_070556.jpg 20200826_070550.jpg

11. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    True, true. The other side of the coin is when you run the scope down a Hart or Krieger barrel and you can hear the angels sing. Oh my! But really, all that has been said here is true, I just wanted another toy. :D