Bolt wear

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by jimsako, Jul 13, 2019 at 6:36 PM.

1. jimsako

jimsako Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    What do you think is the cause of the wear on this bolt body and bolt sleeve/shroud? This is the only pic and the rifle isn't in my possession. The area with the purple arrow doesn't move in the receiver whereas the area while the yellow arrow area does. But these areas line up with the bolt fully open.

I'm looking at my Sako rifles and don't see how that purple arrow area would get any wear from normal use, especially wear that is perpendicular to the bolt assembly. Maybe this is wear from the bolt being taken apart, but that's a guess.

The wear on the yellow part seems reminiscent of this thread.
    https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/concerning-bolt-shroud-gap-firing-pin-lug-wear.8378/

boltwear1.jpg

2. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It appears to rubbing on the upper portion of the action tang......just to the left of the firing pin sear slot.

A common wear area. Remember that, when opening or closing the bolt, the bolt rear is "pushed" to the left.

Also, wear on the bottom of the firing pin sear is from upward pressure of the overridden trigger sear, upon firing pin fall.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 6:37 AM
    jimsako likes this.
  3. jimsako

jimsako Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    The wear on the bolt sleeve/shroud is strange and looking at my sakos, I don't see how that area could get wear. But the area opposite the handle I could see getting wear from turning, though none of my Sakos have it.