• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Bolt stop issues

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Blip

Hello. I have a L461 222 and when I eject the fired case sometimes the bolt comes completely out. Not all the time. But maybe 1 out of 4 times. I have cleaned it really well and it still won’t stay stop everytime I pull the bolt back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blip....

The bolt guide-rod is probably on the wrong side of the bolt.
Remove the bolt.....rotate the guide-rod to the right side of the bolt, and reinstall.

Blip....

The bolt guide-rod is probably on the wrong side of the bolt.
Remove the bolt.....rotate the guide-rod to the right side of the bolt, and reinstall.
Perfect! She’s ready to roll! Thank you!

This rifle is so sweet. Too bad they don’t make the new ones with this much craftsmanship

The bolt guide was the biggest design weakness of the otherwise perfect rifle thru the early 3 action lengths,it drove me to the 75,very close to perfect and then the downhill run with the accountants designing Sakos....😬

PS Heres a customised short action 75 in 20 Tac thats on to its 4th barrel,Z5 4-12

Attachments

• PXL_20230924_031942388.jpg
    PXL_20230924_031942388.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 23
The bolt guide was the biggest design weakness of the otherwise perfect rifle thru the early 3 action lengths,it drove me to the 75,very close to perfect and then the downhill run with the accountants designing Sakos....😬
In what way do you consider the bolt guide to be "the biggest design weakness"??
I ask, because this subject has been raised previously.

Ah,just come back in after a few years,apologies! Ever since I had a 243 bolt locked solid( that I had just bought,second hand,yes,somebody and buggered around with it)I developed a twitch on the bolt guide and and anti rotation stop.

Ah,just come back in after a few years,apologies! Ever since I had a 243 bolt locked solid( that I had just bought,second hand,yes,somebody and buggered around with it)I developed a twitch on the bolt guide and and anti rotation stop.
You bought a used rifle that by your own admission somebody had "buggered around with" & now suddenly the bolt guide is the "biggest design weakness"??? Really???

We’re going to need a photo or two…the lips don’t appear to be moving in the previous photos. 😜
Very nice looking rifle you have tho! Are those inlays or decals?
Thanks! They are inlays by an extremely clever guy in Oamaru NZ.Factory stock by the way,he has used silver,ebony,various rare native woods and mother of pearl.He done the ebony grip cap and fore end cap.
The action was exterior polished by a jade artist and the action was tuned by Tony Titheridge,a benchrest shooter and gunsmith in Chch.As I mentioned,its on its 4th barrel,lots of rabbits here!

I have had about 6 L461 and about 5 579s,no long actions.Always been my favourite rifle,even after the first disaster of buying a forester 243 at a young age.Outwardly perfect,but previous owner must have taken bolt guide off to clean in circlip rotation slot,anyway he lost spring and rotation stop,prob didnt even know.Anyway,first shot recoil slides bolt guide in behind bolt lug,jammed solid.Anyway,continued to buy them over the years until Sako recognised finally that the guide was surplus and a design weakness and we havent seen it since.Not a good idea to take bolt guide off bolt,it appears to be more mild steel than tensile and you have to have some preload while you reinstall.Have 2 75s now and forever😁

I have had about 6 L461 and about 5 579s,no long actions.Always been my favourite rifle,even after the first disaster of buying a forester 243 at a young age.Outwardly perfect,but previous owner must have taken bolt guide off to clean in circlip rotation slot,anyway he lost spring and rotation stop,prob didnt even know.Anyway,first shot recoil slides bolt guide in behind bolt lug,jammed solid.Anyway,continued to buy them over the years until Sako recognised finally that the guide was surplus and a design weakness and we havent seen it since.Not a good idea to take bolt guide off bolt,it appears to be more mild steel than tensile and you have to have some preload while you reinstall.Have 2 75s now and forever😁
First things first.......(assuming we're dealing with an A series bolt assembly).
The rotation stop and it's spring have absolutely no influence on the possible movement of the bolt guide rod fore and aft. It only helps to assure that the guide rod is on the right side of the bolt upon insertion of the assembly into the receiver.

The guide rod is held in position with an internal cup-shaped retaining clip. It is located just to the rear of the bolt guide collar..........and MUST.....repeat MUST be oriented correctly. It's edge is barely visible if the guide rod has an inspection/disassembly hole. Some bolts do not have this hole.
A bit of a warning........some "gunsmiths" have considered the retaining clip to be unnecessary...........much to their customers later chagrin.

This topic has been much discussed.
See previous thread......
https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/l461-bolt-guide-removal.7463/post-102621

Hope this helps......

Back