Bolt Handle Serial # Etching

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Paul B., Nov 4, 2019.

1. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Hi All, I recently purchased a L579 standard sporter on GB and when I received the rifle I noticed that the serial # isn't etched on the underside of the bolt handle. Very odd as all of my other sakos have the etching. Perhaps the bolt handle was reblued? Any other ideas about what could cause this? Thanks!

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    There are two possibilities: Actions sold as actions-only apparently did not receive the bolt handle numbering -- that was done when the barreling was completed -- so your rifle may have originally been an action-only. The other possibility is that it is a replacement bolt since replacements sold as bolts-only were not marked.

Paul B. likes this.
  3. Paul B.

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Thank you, Stone.

4. susanna

susanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    paul b.
    have several sako actions / built rifles with bolts that have no etched ser no, 2 of which i bought new as actions only, an s491 single shot the other an L461 . none have a serial number under the bolt handle.
    look under recent activity , dan sturgis s491. the photo showing the l/h side of the action after the ser no has a has a large round impressed circle where the proof mark was stamped out, its bolt will have no etched ser no, rifle built from action only as my s491 s/s was.
    a new early L579 s/s action in the safe, still in the white the has all insp / proof marks already stamped after the serial no 363xx ! sako confidance in their product ?
    not to good with the camera, will try to put a photo up of a couple .
    susanna

5. Paul B.

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Very interesting! The receiver doesn't have an impressed circle on my rifle. I'm leaning towards a replacement bolt or a re-blue. Either way, the rifle is in great shape overall and ready to go hunting!

6. susanna

susanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    paul b.
    only actions i have seen with the impressed circle are the s491 models. all my other actions that where bought as action only are l461 or l579, no circle, all bolts have no ser no etched.
    susanna

7. Paul B.

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Interesting. Thank you, Susanna.