Black Synthetic Magazine Followers

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by stonecreek, Jan 8, 2019.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I just acquired a Beretta 501 in .308 Win. The 500 series (500 = short, 501 = medium, 502 = long action) was built by Beretta using specially made Sako A-series actions long before Beretta acquired Sako. The actions are round-topped with no dovetails and have only Beretta markings, no Sako markings. They are replete with European proof marks on both action and barrel. The barrel and stock both appear to be from Beretta in Italy, with only the action being Finnish.

As with some Sakos from the A-series, this one has a black synthetic magazine follower. But none of the other Berettas from the 500 series I've examined have had this feature. I have seen it in a two other Sakos I've owned, an A-I .223 and an A-V .338. Both were Deluxes.

Just wondering: How often do others see the synthetic follower, and have you seen it in other than A-series actions?

2. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    I purchased a replacement magazine spring for a L461 in the early 80s, that came with a black follower. Never used the follower, but recently passed it on to a member here looking for a replacement.
    That is the only one I've ever seen.

3. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I noticed them in the early 80’s when they were leaving the checkering unfinished on the forearm. That is when I lost my interest in anything new from Sako. I do have 2 75 deluxes, but I have focused mostly on the older craftsman rifles.

I know I had mentioned the plastic followers and unfinished checkering previously as an indication of how Sako began cheapening production and others didn’t agree, but if that wasn’t the case I would be surprised...

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I haven't been able to determine exactly when the synthetic followers were used, but like other Sako features, they were probably mixed in with metal followers during some period of time.

I've never had any complaints about the function of the synthetic followers. In fact, my beautifully finished A-I Deluxe .223 with its outstanding fiddleback wood (which will be the very last one to be pried from my "cold, dead fingers") has the synthetic follower. It also easily holds seven rounds down instead of the normal six, which I have always attributed to the synthetic follower. However, the Beretta .308 with synthetic follower only holds the normal five-down, so perhaps it is not the follower which makes the difference -- at least not in the A-II action.

Regardless of the functionality of the synthetic followers, I'll agree that the metal follower is more desirable and the synthetic follower does make a rifle appear cheaper. The stamped metal followers aren't a very expensive item, so it is puzzling why Sako briefly tried the synthetics.