Bix 'n' Andy trigger issue

Discussion in 'Sako Rimfires and Small Action Rifles' started by Benson, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Benson

Benson Member

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK England
    Hello
    I own a Sako Quad Heavy Barrel in .22lr. I am considering using it as sporter class rifle in Bench Rest (UK).
    The trigger is a bit heavy for such so I obtained a Bix 'n' Andy replacement.
    The Bix 'n' Andy has a very good write up so I had high expectations. Unfortunately these were dashed at the first hurdle. The trigger fitted onto the rifle without any problems but the top sear of the trigger unit failed to engage with the sear bent of the firing pin. Despite trying all available adjustments nothing remedied this problem.
    The supplier stated that they had discussed this with Bix 'n' Andy and that the problem must be with the tolerances on my rifle as all the triggers they had were within tolerance.
    The trigger was returned, the supplier reiterating that the problem must be with the tolerances on my rifle.
    Has anybody else experienced similar problems?
    Any advice to replacement triggers that I may be able to source in/from the UK.
    Many thanks.

2. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    From my limited exposure to Bix 'n' Andy triggers I have noticed the trigger housing lacks a relief cut that is present on the Sako part. Because of this it is likely that Bix 'n' Andy sits lower on the gun, so the sear will not catch the striker. On the other hand the sear to striker overlap should be something like 1 mm or more. It is hard to imagine that great of a difference coming from said relief cut. It might be a good idea to send the rifle to GMK for inspection.

3. Benson

Benson Member

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK England
    Many thanks for this.
    Unfortunately I have returned the trigger otherwise it would have been interesting to compare and measure. I would have thought Bix 'n' Andy would have taken this relief cut into consideration at the design stage, perhaps they did, perhaps there is another reason that would explain the sear engagement failure.
    As long as Bix 'n' Andy are adamant that the problem is solely with my rifle then they will not move forward.

4. Benson

Benson Member

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK England
    Following on from P04R's observation, thank you, I have viewed a number of photographs of the Bix 'n' Andy Sako Quad triggers and they all seem to be missing said relief cut. Is it this making the difference?
    I would be interested to hear if anyone has any experience with said triggers.

5. Pretendra Jachak

Pretendra Jachak Member

Country Flag:
    India
    State/Region:
    IR Cavan
    I have a bix'n'andy on my custom Tikka super varmint 308win, which I have been using for the past 5 years for 300mt ISSF free rifle prone. Initially wanted a 2 stage match trigger, but could not find any... But the bix'n andy has turned out excellent.... Really consistent at weight as low as 175grams.
    Honestly work out what problems you had with bix'n andy and install it... As there's no other finer trigger apart from Anschütz in the market for specific match purpose.

6. QuadSquad

QuadSquad Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    other
    Excuse me but did you tune the engagement on it? 20200311_093202.jpg

Did you adjust the screw B?:)

dgeesaman likes this.
  7. Benson

Benson Member

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK England
    Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote from original post - "Despite trying all available adjustments nothing remedied this problem".

I also note that the document you refer to is for a Tikka not a Sako. The trigger I had was retailed as specifically for the Sako Quad.

8. QuadSquad

QuadSquad Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    other
    Ohh too bad.
    The Quad/Tikka triggers are the same I think.
    I ordered one 2 years ago and back then it read only Tikka on the trigger I received.

If TRG trigger fits Tikka and Tikka trigger will fit Quad, they are all-around compatible.

I think you either did not turn the B screw enough and counter-cw or the screw in B&A was jammed or some part of it broken/missing.
    Did you see any movement in the engager upon turning?

I base above on the fact they do not match triggers to guns at the factory either. If the action was in bad form the original trigger would be having the same problem.