1. munising

munising Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Vermont
    Hi, getting ready to order a new 85 Bavarian in 9.3x62. Don’t know if I should get the 20” or 22” barrel. Primary deer and black bear at moderate ranges, and hopefully Canadian moose. Any recommendations?

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    22". Muzzle blast from any 20" barrel spewing that much bullet & powder will be deafening. 24" would be even better. That severe drop of the comb on the "Bavarian" stock will also increase the "felt" recoil & muzzle jump, which is fairly pronounced already with the 9.2. That stock is designed for open sights so, mounting a scope for proper cheek weld is critical unless you want your cheek slapped & bruised. The standard rifle configuration with it's straighter, higher comb is much better suited for shooting heavy caliber rifles but, like lots of things, sometimes "looks" wins out over function. Just my two cents.

susanna likes this.
  3. munising

munising Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Vermont
    Thanks for the great input. I really have been grabbed by the looks of the Bavarian. I’ve had a couple lh AV’s in 7 mag and 300 win mags which had been very good shooters with minimum felt recoil. This 9.3 may be a different story. I will go with the 22”.