Awesome .264Mag deluxe

Discussion in 'Heads Up!' started by deergoose, Apr 30, 2015.

1. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Not all of what Deergoose has is luck. He's been a well respected mentor and student for all the years I have been a part of the Sako forums.. He actually deserves this and it really makes me smile,. Great rifle in so many ways.

2. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    I second that! Deergoose is to me the collectors collector..since I first came along, DG has definitely mentored much! Hands on experience, in all aspects of what can be obtained if you set purpose to it. Absolutely one of this clubs Top Shelf Sakohaulics!

Lol!

One of my personal achievements (that I give myself credit for) was to find that My L46 Hornet was numbered within 10 or maybe less digits in number that one he owns. His is pristine, mine, not so much , but still … I’ve always thought it was cool!

And he introduced the term Dirtswine to me..a wonderful nick name for marmets! Thanks for that DG!

Bloo

3. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Yes it is, Paul B. The first thing I noticed! I checked the Moosehead .243 that I have, and the TG antlers are in line with the FP moose on that one. Go figure.
    and I will, Wayne. I've got a later .264 dlx with the short 24" bbl, it is from the late '60s/early '70s. Got to dig it out and take some pics.
    thanks for the vote of confidence, Gents ! Yes, it has been a ride. I used to be much worse than I am now, as nowadays I just focus on the unicorns and tooth fairys...gotta be a unique Sako before I buy it! I have loved collecting these fine rifles!

DeerGoose

Paul B. likes this.
  4. Serf

Serf Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Deergoose,

Glad to see that the old girl is in good hands - enjoy! Hopefully I described the condition of the rifle accurately and that you too are as thrilled as I was the day I landed her.

cheers,
    Serf

5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    What a catch!!! And even with the Moose Head..... WOW!!!

I Likey!!!

deergoose likes this.
  6. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    You bet, Wayne. This .264dlx from the late '60s and a Firearms International marked rifle. Shorter barrel, no front site. Note marking ".264" only (no "Mag"). IMG_4424.jpg IMG_4425.jpg IMG_4426.jpg IMG_4427.jpg IMG_4430.jpg IMG_4431.jpg IMG_4433.jpg IMG_4434.jpg IMG_4435.jpg IMG_4436.jpg IMG_4437.jpg Both rifles super nice!

DeerGoose

7. dustinga

dustinga Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    On so many levels... wow. The 264 marking, without the mag, has to be as rare as a rare floor plate. Right??

deergoose likes this.
  8. Wayne

Wayne Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    I looked at similar threads ( just below) What did James mean by saying Lightweight and Heavyweight 264 Mags? Perhaps barrel lengths? Wayne

deergoose likes this.
  9. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Perhaps..and this is what I see between the two rifles shown, the comment may be in reference to the barrel contours. The Bofors stamped barrel is lighter, smaller slightly in diameter than the post Bofors example next to it. I wonder if the two rifles have one other difference which would be the open faced recoil cross bolt..that shiny donut..I’d almost bet only one has it.

bloo

Wayne and deergoose like this.
  10. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Wayne, usually when speaking of lightweight (or pencil) vs heavy barrel L61, we are talking about the smaller diameter contour found on all calibers of L61's produced from 1961 to 1968/69. These early rifles with the 24.4" barrel have a muzzle diameter of 0.600". The early rifles with the 26" barrels have a muzzle diameter of approximately 0.582". These light barrels also begin the barrel taper approximately 1/2" in front of the receiver ring.

In 1968-69 Sako fattened the barrel diameter of the L61's with 24.4" barrels. This resulted in a muzzle diameter of 0.650" on these rifles referred to as heavy barrel ( do not confuse this with the HB model Sakos). Also the barrel taper on these heavy barrel rifles begins about an inch and a half in front of the ring. I don't know of any 26" pencil barrels made after about 1964 or so. I'll find a list of a few of my rifles showing the length and diameter of the barrels, and the weight of the rifle. I'll post the list when I find it.

deergoose and Wayne like this.
  11. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    you are correct, Bloo. The later .264 has the closed recoil lug, open donut on the early Moosehead rifle. Incidently, I did measure the barrel on the later .264....25-1/8". Go figure. and boy, that rifle weighs a ton with that medium heavy 25" bbl !! Love these rifles.

DeerGoose

12. gunner620

gunner620 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    DeerGoose, No need for you to carry that old heavy rifle around, just sent it to me. BTW you sure know how to find them. Jealous Jim

deergoose likes this.
  13. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Deergoose, I believe your newly acquired heavy barrel 264 with 25" barrel is as rare or maybe more so as your 26" moose plate pencil barrel 264. Think about it this way. Some of the very early 1961 FI catalogs show the 264 barrel to be 25". Then later 1961 FI catalogs started showing the barrel 26" long. Then in 1964 the 264 barrel length was changed to 24.4" (shown in the catalog as 24"). I've never seen a 264 with a 25" barrel. But I've seen several for sale ads of Sako 264 with 25" barrel. I always figured the seller mis-measured it. But now that you have one, I'm rethinking that Sako made some 264's with 25" barrel. But it seems odd that yours is a later heavy contour rifle. It would be easier to understand, if your 25" was on the pencil contour. Your 25 incher is a neat and special gun. Note 25" 264 on this page from early 1961 catalog.

25 inch barrel.jpg

deergoose likes this.
  14. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Here's another early 1961 FI catalog showing the 264 with 25" barrel.

Another 1961 FI catalog.jpg

misako50 and deergoose like this.
  15. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Both rifles are definitely worth the love!

I tell everyone who asks, about which is the best, that the Sako Bofors stamped examples are the lightest and best built.
    I’ve had examples in many sizes and calibers in comparison between guns from the 60’s and from the 70’s ,and even the 80’s . I could almost identify them blindfolded. None feel as good to me as the pre 69 Rifles.
    Deergoose..you have to be worn out ! All those trips back to the safe. All that wiping and polishing. The oogleling and grins. Over and over again..Sako Bliss!

bloo

misako50 and deergoose like this.
  16. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'll swear that I can tell the difference better blindfolded. The eye can be fooled by perspective and proportion when there is nothing to compare with, but the tactile senses in your hands and fingers know the difference between the early and late L-series Sakos instantly.

deergoose, Old Hippie and douglastwo like this.