Awesome .264Mag deluxe

Discussion in 'Heads Up!' started by deergoose, Apr 30, 2015.

1. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    topgear likes this.

2. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    That certainly is a real beauty deergoose. Looks in great condition too. Don't worry about missing it. Happens to me all the time but I work on principle that even a blind squirrel find a nut once in a while!

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    OUCH! Missing one like that hurts.

Ironically, Cabelas usually prices their guns at about twice what they are worth. This one was worth more than twice the price.

4. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    This is the classic case of . . . a cabelas employee . . . selling a gun to a friend . . . by posting it on the net. All the while . . . the friend knows exactly when to call in for the bargain.

5. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You could certainly be right about that.

But there is a more disturbing part of this transaction. Cabelas will typically mark their used guns up by about 50% over what they paid for them, which is a pretty common practice that allows a discount at some point in the future. This means that Cabelas ripped someone, perhaps an unsuspecting widow, by paying them roughly $700-$750 for this item.

6. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I was caller #31. That's what I get for going fishing.

7. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    In Hamburg, PA, everything that comes into Cabelas goes straight into the vault. The vault is a large room where the firearm is processed. The really good stuff, like this beauty, would certainly be snagged by an outfiitter in the Firearms Department prior to being put out for sale to the public. The rules were you could buy it, but no deals. You had to pay the price. Sometimes the price was a steal and sometimes it was not. Once there were two identical stainless Sako 75s there in excellent condition. One was tagged at 850.00 and the other at 1150.00. An outfitter there I know bought the 850.00 one.

8. emmerth

emmerth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    It was gone before it was even posted. I asked how that happens and got some lame excuse....

9. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Stonecreek
    Several times in the past . . . my wife has said to me . . . "please put a tag on every gun, with the amount of purchase price," just incase I go before her. And I told her . . . just put them up for sale on gunbroker . . . one at a time. But first . . . give my son and three grand sons, three or four guns each, to remember the old man by.

Two months ago, I was mailing a gun at a post office. The post master was a remington and winchester collector. And we struck up a conversation, He told me of a guy that had a hunting friend that died, and he had about 15 guns. His widow called two local gun shops to have them appraised. Both guns shops came up with a figure of less than $2000.00 for all 15 guns. The widow then called hunting buddy with the price, and the great friend said that "he would give her the same amount."

So . . . she sold all 15 guns to the hunting buddy for under $2000.00 . So . . . some friend huh?

10. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Well, I guess it could be worse for a widow. I corresponded with a guy who is in poor health and owns what he believes is an L-42 (although I'm not so sure it is not an L-46). Asked what his intentions toward the ultimate disposal of the rifle might be, he responded that "I may just have them put it in the box with me."

11. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Aforementioned Sako rifle is now in my possession. Thanks to a tip from a fellow member here, I bought it from the original buyer of the Cabela's listing. Real deal Sako Finnbear deluxe in .264WM, Moosehead floorplate/trigger guard !!.....and 26" barrel. Early rifle. Only a handful of very minor stock marks, blueing is just about perfect! Delighted to add this one to my herd ! Enjoy the pics.

DeerGoose

IMG_4395.jpg IMG_4397.jpg IMG_4399.jpg IMG_4400.jpg IMG_4402.jpg IMG_4404.jpg IMG_4405.jpg IMG_4406.jpg IMG_4407.jpg

12. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Superb!

deergoose likes this.
  13. Blip

Blip Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Mexico
    Wow! That is beautiful! Great pickup! Congratulations!

deergoose likes this.
  14. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Deergoose, WOW, Cabela's actually had something that special! I have basically stopped watching what they have. I guess I'll go back to watching the Library in the hopes they get the same, except with the grizzly plate. I hope one of us did get that rare bird!

deergoose likes this.
  15. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deergoose likes this.
  16. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Deergoose! You da man! There have been quite a few marvelous examples of Sako awesomeness laid out on that porch, but this one is outstanding! Well done!

bloo

deergoose likes this.
  17. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Excellent, excellent, excellent! And with the upside-down moose antlers on the trigger guard too! Craziness!

deergoose likes this.
  18. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Sweet! Congrats!!

deergoose likes this.
  19. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Deergoose, when I first looked at this thread a moment ago, I read only your post saying you missed it plus a couple other posts, I then went straight to the pictures and just stopped there admiring the rifle. I just now read all the posts in this thread and saw you now own the rifle. Way to go! It couldn't have went to a better home.

deergoose likes this.
  20. Wayne

Wayne Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    Deergoose, Some people get all of the luck, even after a long wait. I bet you could show us a picture of another one just as nice with the shorter barrel. Wayne

deergoose likes this.