Available Sako Ammo in 60's

Discussion in 'Sako Ammunition' started by douglastwo, Oct 1, 2021.

1. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I was looking through a few FI catalogs and noticed these two pages of Sako ammo available in the 60's. Looks good to have if you collect or have an interest to collect Sako ammo.

Sako Ammo 1of2.jpg Sako Ammo 2of2.jpg

2. Jeeps-And-Guns

Jeeps-And-Guns Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alabama
    That would be cool to find some of those boxes for my collection.
    Wonder who made it for them? I would take a wild guess based off the available calibers listed and the bullet weights/styles and say Norma?
    Or did they actually make their own ammo?

3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    It's interesting that back in the day, Sako offered all those oddball European and Finnish calibers on the American market. I think Sako made their own ammo - remember, Sako actually got its start making military ammo.

Old Hippie likes this.
  4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, Sako made/makes its own ammunition. Like nearly all manufacturers, it may source some components like brass and bullets from others from time to time; perhaps from Lapua or maybe Norma. While Sako makes the ammunition, to my knowledge they don't make either the powder or the primers, which come from others.

Many years ago Sako contracted to make ammunition for Herters. I have some ammunition from both Herters and Sako from that time span and the disassembled cartridges exhibit identical components. I wouldn't be surprised if Sako made ammunition for some other brands as well, but have no information regarding that.