• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

P54 Availability of the P54 in the United States?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Jeeps-And-Guns

From what I can gather from reading here and online, the P54 was never commercially imported into the US. It seems commercial imports of Sako rimfires started with the P72.
I know there are P54's here in the states but they seem to be very rare. Curious how the ones that are here, got here?
Were they all simply imported one at a time by individuals over the last 68 years or what?
How often do you see P54's come up for sale in the US?

I have (in one way or another) made it my goal to add one of each Sako rimfire to my collection. I started with a P94S varmint. I have since added a P72 varmint/target and a M78 varmint/target (not sure if they referred to them as varmint models back then, or simply target models).
So when I saw a P54 sporter come up for sale I jumped on it. I am almost 100% sure I over paid for it, but in the probably year and a half I have been looking for a P54, this is the first time I saw one come up for sale and I did not want to miss the chance to own one.
My real goal was to find the P54 target/heavy barrel version to match my others, but sometimes you take what you can get.
Has anyone ever seen a P54 target/heavy barrel come up for sale in the US? I am thinking the availability of them in the states is pretty much slim to none. Seems they are all overseas.

You'll be needing a P46, also. This was Sako's first rimfire. It was a single-shot bolt action made from 1946 to (appx.) 1954 when replaced by the magazine-fed P54. There was also a mysterious P57, I believe, but I know nothing of how it differed from the P54. None of these earlier rimfires were imported commercially to the U.S., so, as you say, they are exceedingly rare here.

The American import agents (Firearms International and later Garcia) were apparently very hesitant to handle the Sako rimfires, believing that they simply couldn't compete in price with the huge volumes of Savage, Marlin, Mossberg, and other domestic rimfire manufacturers who turned out plain but functional rimfires for very reasonable prices. Garcia finally began importing the P72, but not enthusiastically: The former president of Garcia told me in person that he didn't want to handle the little rifle because, in his words, "Who would pay nearly $500 for a .22?" You're lucky if you can buy one for twice that price today.

Yes the P46 is also on the list, but I am focusing on the P54 at the moment.
I figure the P46 is most likely going to have to be imported from overseas. Possibly the P54 also. I have been looking around at the cost of importing and weighing my options.
I would love to find a P54 target already here in the states, as I am sure there are some out there, but finding one for sale will be the hard part.
Same with the P46. There appear to be a few in the states, but they are few and very far between. Probably more rare than the P54.

Bought a P54 from a California shop last month. Pretty little gun, but action needs some attention and stock repair. If it all comes together I"ll use the service to get the build sheet. Maybe an Australian transparent ?

I bought a P54 this morning here in canada that I found listed on Gunpost.ca.
although it's missing the rear sight, its receiver is dovetailed for scope mounting.
I paid the ask price of $800 without hesitation.
when it arrives in the mail I'll post photos showing the markings and any other interesting features that aren't in these photos taken from the ad.

Attachments

• 86AD602C-EBFF-44F3-9CAC-1960C5BBFA79_4_5005_c.jpeg
    86AD602C-EBFF-44F3-9CAC-1960C5BBFA79_4_5005_c.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DE8E48ED-EB0C-427E-A70E-0B123B004487_4_5005_c.jpeg
    DE8E48ED-EB0C-427E-A70E-0B123B004487_4_5005_c.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 0AD927DF-27A4-4E82-832A-FEC9F74D6850.jpeg
    0AD927DF-27A4-4E82-832A-FEC9F74D6850.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 32
  • F9061CE5-19CB-4BD3-B5C3-AE89C741B875.jpeg
    F9061CE5-19CB-4BD3-B5C3-AE89C741B875.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 40EE8AF4-20C8-442E-8AB2-F8FE81DA618C.jpeg
    40EE8AF4-20C8-442E-8AB2-F8FE81DA618C.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 34
Cool little rifle. Close cousin of the one I recently purchased. Wish it came with the rear sight too. Jeeps and guns P54 on another thread came with that sight that fits the factory holes. Check his out.

Nice score. It is a shame it is missing the rear sight leaf.
That style rear sight seems to be the most common in the pictures I have seen of them online. Only a couple (and usually the heavy barrel target models) I have seen pictures of have the rear sight like mine.
It has no marks, no holes, and no signs on the barrel at all of ever having a sight like yours. So I assume mine came from the factory like this.

51887040307_56ce20e105_b.jpg

the person who sold me this one mentioned he got it from a gentleman in Toronto a year ago and that it's a good shooter but he likes his Cooper better!

Well after a lot of searching, contacting different people, and research, I have found a P54 target. It is like new condition and possibly unfired.
I will be having it imported from Finland along with 3 other rifles. (a P46, and early model P54, and a Lives target rifle).
I am very excited to finally be almost complete with my collection.
The importing will take a long time, but I will update in several months when I get them.

I bought a P54 this morning here in canada that I found listed on Gunpost.ca.
although it's missing the rear sight, its receiver is dovetailed for scope mounting
Do you still need a rear sight? I'm currently working on a P54 from the first run back in 1954 and I removed the rear sight leaving just the factory original peep sight on the rifle. Please send me a PM and tell me if there are any legal requirements with sending these 'gun parts' to Canada. After receiving the sight I'm happy if you'll just cover my expenses plus a price for a beer or two :) That rifle of yours needs to be perfected...

After my rifle project is complete I'll do a write up on the process, but it won't be a restoration to a 100 % original form but not a quasi-tactical hack-job either. I'm looking for a classic look with the spirit of the 1950's. I do hope it will turn out in in such a way I won't be banned from this fine forum I haven't been able to contribute for such a long time ;)

urDQtNP6_o.jpg

The little rifle was in quite a rough condition, pitted and the stock in pretty bad shape but it shoots straight...

lDbk0TQt_o.jpg

Prepping the barrel and receiver for traditional re-bluing by a pro...

Well after a lot of searching, contacting different people, and research, I have found a P54 target. It is like new condition and possibly unfired.
I will be having it imported from Finland along with 3 other rifles. (a P46, and early model P54, and a Lives target rifle).
I am very excited to finally be almost complete with my collection.
The importing will take a long time, but I will update in several months when I get them.
My congratulations on your project. I'm still trying to complete a P-54 I picked up last year. Found out the magazine was not original and works very poorly. If you could point me in how you pulled this off I think your offshore search may be the only way to finish mine.

Latest posts

Back