AV Sambar

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by wombat, Oct 6, 2019.

1. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hi to all, Been a while since posted, been out hunting most weekends, taken a few Sambar this year Stalking, which is the way I Hunt.
    Just thought I would post a pic of this Sambar Stag I took this morning, 07.00, approx. 120 yards shot across gully, could only see his dark mane/massive neck, went for low neck/high shoulder shot, using Winchester Silver Tip projectiles that I pulled from a couple of packets that I found and reloaded them with my preferred powder charge.
    Taken with my Sako AV in .30/06, using my shooting sticks, fell on the spot and rolled down steep incline. He measured 21” the long
    Gets side, massive body, and in the rut, as he was very smelly. There was a young hanging around, so I would think the Hind would have been close too, as he was doing the usual “you can’t see me” Standing behind a bush!
    BTW the bolt is open on the rifle in the picture!
    Hope other Hunters are having success and using their Sakos.
    Jay

Attached Files:

2. Poulios682

Poulios682 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Nice Sambar Wombat, I plan to start getting into the Sambar stalking/hunting scene now that I have the AV .270. I have taken a few Chital deer on private property with my 75 22-250 but never been properly for deer, just waiting now for the range to open up to sight her in and hopefully organise a hunt soon.

3. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hi All,
    Been having some success with the Sako AV .30/06 of late after Sambar.
    Been getting some meat animals, young Spikes. I thought I would for the interest of members show a Stag I took this morning with the AV, and my shooting sticks i made and have been using for over 20 years.
    I used reloads, with original Winchester Silver Tip projectiles that have not been
    Available for many years, they are 180 gn. I pulled the projectiles from factory rounds and reloaded them to my recipe! Using AR2209 powder (4350 equivalent. In US)
    I’ve taken 13 Sambar with these projectiles over last 12-18 mths. And have all performed very well, ranges have been from 50-200 yards for the Deer.
    This AV is a 1/2” - 3/4” or better consistent performer with 180 and 165 gn. Projectiles.
    Stag specs. 25”-26”, heavy set and in full rut, with extensive scars from recent brawls with other Stags, shot at about 120 yards while he was rubbing/thrashing a wattle tree.
    May is always a good mth. for Sambar Hunting.
    Stay Safe and Good Hunting,
    Jay

Attached Files:

4. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    G’day Jay, well done on the Stag !
    I hope to get down over the boarder in the next month or two.

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    What does a fully grown Sambar stag weight on the hoof? 100-150 Kg?

I know that Amercian Wapiti (elk) often interbreed with Red Deer in New Zealand, but will Sambar also cross with either of these species?

6. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Well done on the Sambar hunting. Sounds like you've done very well over recent times.
    Interested to hear more on your shooting sticks and how you put them to use.
    Like Deersako, I am watcing the easing of travel restrictions in the hope I'll be able to travel to Vic in August, for my annual hunt.
    My brother lives in northern Vic and got lucky last week. He stalked up a fallow hind and then a young Sambar stag within 20 minutes of each other.

7. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hi all,
    Good to hear you will be getting to this side of the River Deer Sako, good luck with your Hunting.
    Stonecreek, I reckon this Stag was 300kg. On the hoof ..easy, just lifting the severed head complete I reckon was close to 20kg, they remind me of a bag of cement weight!!!! As far as I know Sambar will cross only with Rusa Deer, another Asian origin Deer, but I stand to be corrected on that!
    Hi sraaw, hope you get here later on.
    Your Brother had a good day! Ive got Sambar and Fallow in same bits of Bush,
    But never been lucky enough for the same day!! He did well. Good luck on your trip, and make the most of it.
    Stay Safe to All..
    Jay

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    300 kg = 660 lb. Close to an American Wapiti, and perhaps a bit heavier than an African Kudu.

9. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hi Stone,
    I spoke with a guy today who’s hunted Sambar for over 40 years, a couple more than me! Who is also an animal farmer, and he concurs with my estimate, and even said he has seen a couple that were bigger due to feed from “regrowth” country that could be up to 350kg!!
    They seem thicker set and heavy boned..
    Look after yourself.
    Jay