AV Question

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by wombat, Oct 23, 2020.

1. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hello Members,
    Just got a query on time line/ features on the AV model, s/n 607***. Maybe some members that collect or have a broader knowledge on the AV series.
    Would about this time they have the Tikka trigger and the 2 piece floor plate ? Just looking at one that mite come up for sale!
    Thanks, Jay

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    As we know dating any Sako from the serial number alone is tricky. The Tikka trigger was introduced in 1990 & the two part trigger guard came along in 1988. Both these mods occurred after serial number 640000 according to the sketchy data available. I would guess the AV in question was made after the CNC machining started in 1985, but before 1989, but with Sako you can never be sure. If you get it, let us know!!

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I don't have much firsthand knowledge of the later A-V's, but it seems as if those with the "Tikka" trigger are associated with having two stock crossbolts. The theory is that the "Tikka" trigger required more wood to be removed, so the extra crossbolt reinforces the stock near the trigger void.

As to the two-piece bottom metal, again, it seems to be associated with the Hunter-style stock, however as we know, Sako often mixed-and-matched parts as one style was phased out and another phased in.

Like Paulson says, let us know what you find.

4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    My AV in 9.3x62, s/n 608xxx, has dual crossbolts and a one-piece trigger guard. I can't say if it actually has a Tikka trigger since I know of no way to tell without pulling the barreled action out of the stock.