AV date codes

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Stalker 6.5, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Stalker 6.5

Stalker 6.5 Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK England
    I've been looking at some posts on the sako AV rifles very interesting reading. I own and shoot a sako AV in 270win I brought this rifle as used so not knowing any history of the gun I thought I'd ask the estemated date of manufacture the serial number starts 595 I know the gun is old but it shoots very nicely I use it only for hunting with federal 130 grn factory ammunition the rifle has some age related marks and the muzzle has been screw cut to install a suppressor which helps tremendously with recoil any info on date please.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    My guess is it was made between 1981, when the AV stamping first appeared, & 1985 when CNC machining was implemented, as it's serial number makes it highly unlikely to have been made by CNC. Pictures showing stock style, checkering & recoil pad could help make a closer guess.

Stalker 6.5 likes this.
  3. Stalker 6.5

Stalker 6.5 Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK England
    Thanks that's older than I thought I've posted some pics of the stock most helpful indeed

Attached Files:

4. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The stock shape, finish & solid red pad puts it closer to 1985. Others here may have a better guess.

Stalker 6.5 likes this.
  5. Stalker 6.5

Stalker 6.5 Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK England
    I've had to edit the post the serial number is 595 so that would indicate a later manufacturer date perhaps cnc machine.

6. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Your revised SN makes it much more likely to have a born on date that is 1985 or later & also after CNC machining was implemented, which is more in line with what the stock is telling us. With Sako you can never be 100% certain using a SN alone to determine age, but if you told someone 1985 they would be hard pressed to refute it. Exact dates are kind of irrelevant anyway, IMHO.

Stalker 6.5 likes this.