AV Classic in 6.5x55

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by icebear, Oct 22, 2020.

1. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Here is my latest acquisition - as in the title of the thread, an AV Classic chambered in 6.5x55 Swedish. I've been wanting a Classic for a while, and this one, with interesting wood and one of my favorite European calibers, proved irresistible. I got it in a highly competitive auction on Gunbroker. There were three or four serious bidders, and several extensions under the 15-minute rule. I lurked until the others were winnowed down to one and jumped in with my bid, which proved to be a winner.

The rifle has the satin finished dark wood typical of the Classic. It has attractive figure (although not the equal of the stunning feathercrotch posted by VirgilHill from Sweden the other day). (https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/one-more-swede.15649/) Coincidentally, his spectacular rifle is the same caliber as mine. The wrap-around checkering adds a nice luxury touch. I added a 2.5-8x Zeiss Conquest in late-style original Sako rings. It's laser bore-sighted and ready to go. I'll be interested to see what bullet weights it likes.

Pictures:
    Classic 1.JPG Classic 4.JPG Classic 5.JPG Classic 6.JPG Classic 7.JPG Classic 8.JPG

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Congratulations!! I turning green as I type this. Try the Lapua 155 grain Mega-Bullet if your looking for a big game bullet.

3. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Wow, definitely a great and rarely seen acquisition. Beautiful too in my opinion. Pure envy on my part. Should be so pleasant to shoot. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy....Way to go Icebear.

4. Lars Pyykkønen

Lars Pyykkønen Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Incredible find. Iv'e been trying to replace mine for years. A buddy of mine, who is a Weatherby and Ruger guy, convinced me it was an archaic caliber. It was the worst decision I've ever made rifle wise. Canadian Friends, Finns and Swedes still use it to take Moose. Polar Bear have even been taken with this caliber. I have never found a better white tail deer caliber. Its easy to shoot and accurate. Its a tack driver. Canadian and foreign loads are about 400 hundred fps faster. American loads are still flat and Hornady offers some interesting loads in America too. Yes, I too am jealous. Good job.

5. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Very nice icebear.

6. Lars Pyykkønen

Lars Pyykkønen Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    You ***** I bid on that. LOL. Good Win....Your pictures are much better than they were on GB.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  7. RangerAV

RangerAV Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maryland
    VERY nice! I like the Classic stock better than the Hunter...

-Chris

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    "Classics" seem to be gaining the appreciation they deserve. Finding an A-V with the wrap-around checkering of the previous A-III is a great bonus, along with some extra nice wood -- not to mention chambered in a scarcer caliber.

Mims Reed told me that the Classics were originally going to revert to a more slender barrel contour to make them into a very light sporter. Several years ago he showed me one he owned in .243 from an early or prototype run that has such a lighter barrel. To my taste, the Classic would have been an even more outstanding rifle if Sako had used the more slender tubes.

9. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
  10. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I guess that's a question of personal taste. A slimmer barrel and forend would certainly be aesthetically pleasing, but would also likely have a negative effect on accuracy, at least as measured by group size. On the other hand, for hunting the main thing is that the first shot goes exactly where it is aimed, and a half MOA one way or the other in follow-up shots is not a major consideration. And a lighter gun is easier to carry all day. I'm happy with my rifle as it is, but a slimmed-down version would be a pretty neat thing too.

stonecreek likes this.