• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako AV bolt disassmbly

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Makoman

Is there a wrench similar to the one for the 85 for disassembling the bolt on an AV? I just purchased one from Collectors that was made in 1990/91. Being ~30 years old, I wanted to take it apart and clean out any lint or other muck that might be inside.

There is no tool! Just get a can of aerosol gun cleaner, like Gun Scrubber, and save yourself a lot of grief, & just flush the innards of the bolt. Not much can get inside in the first place & any old oil or crud should be dislodged by the Gun Scrubber. Soaking the bolt in a solvent, like mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, or turpentine for a day or two prior to flushing will assure any harden or dried contaminants will be removed. Only time I EVER disassemble a bolt is if something is BROKEN! Like the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Amateurs taking apart bolts just gives gunsmiths more work. I can't recall a bolt I ever disassembled that "needed" cleaning. Just food for thought.

Last edited:
Your probably right. Last time I took a bolt apart was on an old surplus Mauser and there really wasn’t anything in there that couldn’t have been blown out with solvent. I’ve been planning to buy an ultrasonic cleaner. Maybe I will throw it in there and then blow it out with some brakekleen, my solvent of choice.

Last edited:
I largely agree with Paulson on this, but I have run across one exception. I bought a used but pristine Kimber of Oregon Model 84 in .223 a few years back. I found that with "harder" primers like CCI it sometimes misfired, so I used a brand that was "softer" for it, thinking that the firing pin spring was on the weak side. Eventually, it got to the point that it was misfiring with "soft" primers. So I had no choice other than to disassemble the bolt to see what was going on. I've never seen so much black crud inside a bolt in all of my life. I soaked and scrubbed on the spring and pin body for a day or so, then after re-assembling it fired perfectly every time. The rest of the gun was squeaky clean and showed very little use. For the life of me I can't figure out what a previous owner did to get that much carbon/dirt/decayed seaweed inside of a bolt.

Is there a wrench similar to the one for the 85 for disassembling the bolt on an AV?
Disassembling a L61R AV bolt for cleaning is very quick & easy to accomplish and as paulsonconstruction mentioned, no tools are needed for this task.

I posted instructions on this same sub-forum for those who haven't done this before and would like to know how to go about it.

Hope they help!

Latest posts

Back