Stoeger AV .375

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by Schmit55, Mar 31, 2021.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    As Icebear says, the 2.5-8 Leupold is just barely long enough for a long action Sako. I have some original Sako extension ringmounts in medium height, which is appropriate for the 36mm objective bell. The front mount is the extension mount and will turn either forward for a long-bodied scope (not many of those around anymore), or rearward for a short bodied scope. I actually have two sets of these and would sell one. If you're interested start a Private Conversation with me.

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The straight portion of the 2.5-8x Leupold is five inches. That is uncomfortably short, leaving no room to adjust forward and back for eye relief. The 3.5-10x is about a quarter inch longer, with a 40mm adjustable objective. The 2.5-8x is a 36mm without AO. The photo below shows an AV with the 3.5-10x mounted on Australian-made pre-Optilock low mounts. Note that these mounts put the rings in the ideal position for mounting a short scope on a long action. These can be found on eBay or Gunbroker - sometimes.
    Rifle with 3.5-10x Leupold.JPG

Here is an AV in 9.3x62mm with a Leupold 1.5-5x in old-style Sako low mounts. Power and ballistics of the 9.3mm round are similar to a .375. I consider this an excellent setup for a heavy-caliber big-game rifle.
    AV-2.JPG

And finally, the Warne QD mounts I posted on the previous page, so you can see the side-by-side comparison with other mounts. This setup maximizes fore and aft adjustment for eye relief; the rings index on the ejection port. The rifle is an AIII, also a long action. The scope is a 1.75-6x E (Long discontinued, highly prized, and goes for a hefty price when it turns up for sale.)
    AIII Carbine 30-06 2.JPG