Auction coming up

Discussion in 'Heads Up!' started by arthur36, Nov 4, 2018.

1. arthur36

arthur36 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Amoskeag auction Co. will be holding a 2 day auction, 17/18 November. Reviewing the catalog, I see an L61r, and four or five other Sako's that are listed as "Pre-Vixens". I would guess this means L46's. One of these "pre-Vixens's" is a full length stocked rifle.

They run a nice sale there, but I don't think they are that knowledgeable when it comes to Sako, they still pronounce it "Say-co".

Disclaimer; I am not employed by, nor an agent for, Amoskeag auction company. None of the rifles described above are mine. This sale is local for me, and by sharing this, just maybe someone here in the club will find what they've been looking for.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Amoskeag makes it difficult to find something in particular since they don't make their online catalog searchable like many other auction companies do. You have to scroll through hundreds of pages of listings to find a "Sako" or whatever you're looking for. That said, they typically run a quality auction. I've been happy with the couple of things I've bought from them.

By the way, they've been selling items from the Richard "Stretch" Kennedy estate for more than two years now. That guy must have had a warehouse full of guns, many of them Sakos.

3. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    They are being listed on Proxibid. So you can go tot he site and take a look at the pics. What I don't like about Proxibid is the buyer's premium. They are usually very high (up to 26%) and that in my opinion is just way too much to pay for the opportunity to bid on an item. In addition I have been ripped off by sellers that charge over the top fees for shipping. I'm talking $125 for an ordinary rifle. Give me a break!

rick

4. arthur36

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire

There's a search function in the online catalog on their site. Just above the listings, you'll see three search boxes, the first is marked "search titles' the next is "search descriptions", the third is "go to lot". Just type SAKO in the "search titles" box, then click on "search titles" that will bring up all the Sako's in the auction onto on page, but sometimes a few slip through due to the wording in the listing.

Yeah, Stretch lived to collect. He was a fixture at local shows and this auction for years. He even had a live anti-tank gun. Not sure what became of it. I think he just bought stuff because he liked the look of it.
    ( I own his L61r, it came home with me a few years ago.)

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, that's true, but it only finds the "featured" items. There are many guns in the full catalog which don't show up. However, it is probable that all of the Sakos do show up in the featured items. I once found a pristine -- and Deluxe checkered -- Savage 23 in .25-20 in the reams of fine print of the full catalog. I bought it for a very reasonable bid since apparently no one else came across it.

6. arthur36

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    This sounds like you are referring to the "Silent Auction" catalog. And you're right, items listed in the silent auction arn't always photographed and are not linked to the search function. Their online catalog always seems to be a work in progress. I am friendly with some of the staff and will mention this the next time I am there.