Attempting to Determine Value of .222 Sako Vixen L57 1959

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Greenvale, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Greenvale

Greenvale Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Massachusetts
    Can anyone give me some idea of the market value of a .222 Sako Vixen L57 manf in 1959?

2. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    That should be a Riihimaki and not L-57. If it is a L-57 it should be a 243. Condition is the determining factor...

3. Greenvale

Greenvale Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Massachusetts
    It was purchased new in 1959 and according to the Sako serial number 10057 they show L57. It's never been rebarrelled.

4. Greenvale

Greenvale Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Massachusetts
    It's in very good condition. Clean bore and bluing 99%.

5. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Is it possible the rifle is a 222 mag rather than a 222? Supposedly, less than five 222 mags were produced in the L57 action. I've never seen one, but I've read of them often.

6. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    You need to find out what it really is. It isn't a 222 in an L-57 action or something is drastically wrong. The L57 is a medium action and the L46, Riihimaki, is a short action made for the 222 cartridge. The first picture is a L-57 action as shown on the action. The second picture is of the L46 (Riihimaki) bolt in the background and the L-57 near. Although similar, they are not the same and neither is a Vixen in a L-57 action.

The last 2 pictures show the right hand side of the L-46 (Riihimaki) and the L-57 action, again similar, but not the same. You need to identify your rifle...

thumbnail_IMG_3713.jpg DSCN4146.JPG DSCN4663.JPG DSCN5033.JPG
    thumbnail_IMG_3713.jpg

7. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I haven't heard of such a thing, but that doesn't make it impossible. The L-57 is a larger diameter bolt and longer magazine, a 222 Mag could get lost in there. Although if Sako did make such a thing, I am sure it would work...

8. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    We need photos!

9. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Which came first, the L57 or the L469? If Sako started building the L57 before they decided to lengthen the L46 action for the .222 Magnum, it's conceivable that they built a few L57's in .222 Mag to test the concept and then decided that lengthening the L46 action was a better idea. It wouldn't be hard - just machine the bolt face for a smaller case and put a spacer in the magazine.

If Greenvale has such a thing, it would be an interesting and valuable rarity.

10. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The factory records show that Sako did build a handful of L57's chambered for .222 Magnum.

Greenvale: Is your rifle the Deluxe version (contrasting fore end and grip cap, engraving on the floorplate, and skipline checkering)? It would be great if you could post photos and close-ups of the markings on the action and the barrel.

Also, what leads you to believe your rifle was made in 1959?

11. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I do recall a rumor of an L57 in 222 mag for auction between 5-10 years ago, but I didn't look into the rumor because at the time I had no interest in L57's and I'm not sure what auction house had it. I have a lot of auction catalogs and when I have time I'll look through some of them and see if I can find it.

topgear likes this.
  12. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
  13. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Topgear: Thanks for calling our attention to that post. I looked up the serial number of the L57 .222M Mannlicher sold in the Rock Island auction in the factory inspection records. L57 SN 5615 was inspected 30 September 1958 and is indeed listed as a .222 Magnum, although it is not noted as a Mannlicher. Nor can I find a shipping record for it. It sounds like a one-off item.

I did find shipping records for three L57 .222 Magnums, all shipped to "Mr. Richard S. Boutalle" (as best I can interpret the handwriting.) They were booked for shipping on 2 July 1958 and were serial numbers 2325, 2816, and 7747. Their configurations (whether sporter, Deluxe, HB) is not noted.