Arizona dry heat

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Derek Teschler, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Derek Teschler

Derek Teschler Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    New member but have used this sight many times for reference. Own a few Sakos with the oldest being a Riihimaki 1956 and the latest a 1985 m591 . Have a few deluxe models and misc in between. Thanks for letting me register. 20180607_183052.jpg

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The M591 did not exist before 1992, so yours was not made in 1985. The S491, M591, & L691 were made from 1992 to 1996 & there are no factory records available that I am aware of for them. The only way to establish a production date would be from a factory hang tag or receipt. Riihimaki is the name of the town the Sako factory is located, not a Model designation. It is a Model L46 & you can request data for it from the Factory Records Service by clicking in the upper left of this page to confirm the 1956 production date if you want. Pics of your Deluxes would be great!!

3. Derek Teschler

Derek Teschler Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Misprint on m591 is 1995.
    Not great at pics of the deluxe three but will try 20180709_101842.jpg

4. Derek Teschler

Derek Teschler Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
  5. Derek Teschler

Derek Teschler Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
  6. Derek Teschler

Derek Teschler Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
  7. Derek Teschler

Derek Teschler Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    7mm is the blonde.
    30-06 in the middle
    308 artwork on the bottom

8. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    .308 looks to have some fine looking fiddleback as well as a less often seen floor plate.
    Very nice collection in some pragmatic deer/bear calibers IMHO.

9. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks for posting the photos! I've never seen the "Two Deer in Woods" pattern on a later model floorplate with the button release and rounded floorplate tang. In fact, I would have sworn that such did not exist. Live and Learn. That's what so great about the information we share here on this forum!

10. Derek Teschler

Derek Teschler Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I don't see a lot of info on the m591 but sako did a great job on the finish for this 22-250 20170529_154010.jpg

11. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The "91" series was fairly short-lived, so there aren't all that many of them out there compared to most of the other Sako series. They used a bolted-on recoil lug instead of one integral with the front action ring. This was probably a way to slightly reduce production costs which some people dislike, but in practical terms it seems to make no difference. I've seen one individual rifle with a problem with the safety/sear, and there is some anecdotal evidence that this was a too-frequent problem with the "91" series, but I don't actually think it is that common.

Sako made some special round-top actions (profiled for Rem 700 mount bases) of the "91" series for the Magnum Research Mountain Eagle line of rifles. I have one of these in .300 Weatherby and it is quite accurate.

12. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    OK so put me in the will. Very impressive and many thanks for sharing.

rick

13. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Nice rifle and with the nontypical 2 deer floorplate. Long ago I used to chase the nontypical pre72 bofors marked deluxes. Here is one of many odd Sakos I owned (I gave it to my brother and he hunts it hard). It's a pencil barrel 264 push button release with square tang and yes for those of you with a quick eye...no recoil lug. I guess this rifle could be phony, but I bought it in the 70's, which I think is before people were duplicating Sako stocks. At the same time I acquired a deluxe 243 with a recoil lug, but I don't have it either because I lost interest in the odd balls and either traded them off or gave them to family. Sorry for the poor quality picture of a picture, but you can tell its a Finnbear.

Attached Files:

14. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Douglastwo, let me get this straight: The .264 you gave your brother has a square floorplate tang but has a pushbutton floorplate release rather than the "s" shaped release? That really is an oddball -- particularly when lacking a recoil cross bolt.

The .243 with the stock crossbolt could have been placed in a stock for a .308, but I suspect it is more likely that the factory sent it out that way since there is no reason that a .243 wouldn't fit just fine in a stock for a .308 and sometimes when the factory was short of parts they would use whatever was on hand. Just because we usually see .243's without a crossbolt doesn't mean they can't have one.

15. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    With the 243 its just an matter of swapping stocks with a 308. But I figured if they made a Finnbear without a crossbolt, they could have made a 243 with one.

16. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Opps, I was typing when you were. Yes, the 264 stock is odd, but the bottom metal is even more odd. I really can't imagine what they were doing.

17. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Stone, I thought I remembered one of our members posting a photo of a Deluxe with a push button release and a square tang a few years back, so I searched and found it.

Enter this title being careful to show deluxe like it's two words: Sako Finnbear De Luxe