Appraise a Sako Riihimaki

Discussion in 'Sako Handguns' started by mangostamp, May 2, 2011.

1. mangostamp

mangostamp 1 hunter

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    I have a Sako Riihimaki .22 Hornet, N:eek: 6060. It was the personal firearm of Hubert Zempke of world war II fame (Zempke's Wolfpack- fighter pilots in Europe). It is engraved with his initials. This engraving was done in Germany I believe, the engraver is unknown at this time. Mr. Zempke gave the weapon to one of his friends, my father, who was also a fighter pilot and custom gun builder.

I want to figure out what it is worth for insurance appraisal,if possible. I also would like to buy additional magazines for it since it shoots so beautifully.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Guns with connections to celebrities only acquire additional value if they come with verifiable documentation connecting them with the celebrity, and even then, the additional value is roughly in proportion to the fame of the previous owner. Since Colonel Hubert Zemke (not Zempke) is hardly a household name (although he may have been a great man very deserving of recognition), having his initials on the gun more likely detracts from, rather than adds to, its value, particularly if you don't have any paper documenting his connection to the gun.

An L46 Hornet in good to very good condition is usually worth between $800 and $1,000. Add or subtract for condition of your gun. If the initials or any other customizing is in good taste and does not attract attention to itself and away from the gun, you may not need to deduct anything. The greater the customizing, the more deduction from value is called for.

Several years ago I bought three guns (two of them Sakos) from the man who had been the President of the Garcia Arms Corporation (at one time the importer of Sakos). I sold one of them last year to a member of this board, but I refrained from telling him of its origin until the deal was made for fear of his thinking that I might assign some particular value to the gun's origin. Since I had nothing other than my word to to verify its origin, and the name of the man was unknown to most (I'll bet no one here can name him), I didn't want anyone to think I was trying to pump up the price of the gun with a "good story". After the deal was made, I told the buyer of the origin, and I'm sure that he's glad to know and feels much better about it than if the origin had been pitched as a selling point.

3. mangostamp

mangostamp 1 hunter

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Stonecreek,

Thank you for the correction on the spelling of Hub's last name, and the insight on possible gun values. I appreciate your time and consideration.

Do you have any knowledge of how one can locate magazines for the weapon?

Do you know how I might discover the date of manufacture based on it's serial number?

mangostamp

4. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    One of our long-time participants here on the SCC Forum dropped me an email on another subject, but he mentioned that he thought I was a little low on the L-46 .22 Hornet price range. He could be right. That range maybe more correct for the more common .222, and the Hornet chambering might merit a couple of hundred bonus.

Just a couple of years ago aftermarket magazines for the L-46 .222 were pretty easy to come by, but the source seems to have dried up. I can only advise watching auction sites like Gunbroker or Auction Arms where you see one listed every now and then.

Up in the right hand corner of this page, click on "Hang Tags". This is the most comprehensive list of production dates for Sakos anywhere. Be advised, however, that Sako is infamous for having skipped around in the SN sequence, so it isn't possible to pinpoint the exact year of production, only to get within a year or so. The factory apparently either never kept much in the way or records or discarded the records long ago, so Sako production dates remain a bit of a mystery with a lot of speculation mixed in.

By the way, I'm sure you have much more sentiment attached to this gun than you have interest in its commercial value, but it's always nice to know what something is likely worth.

5. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Stone!
    IxB4ll call you! Mr Timmerman!
    Jim

6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Okay, Jim, be honest: Did you get that from one of my earlier posts on this subject or from independent material? I guess it doesn't matter though, since I didn't limit my "bet" to people who haven't read my previous post on the subject. So, you win the bet and I owe you. Now that I've got your mailing address, watch for your payoff via return mail!

7. rowdy

rowdy Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Nova Scotia
    I bought a good condition L46 in 22 Hornet earlier this year here in the UK. The price was xA3450 which equates roughly to $750 USD. The serial number is #15427. At the same time there was another Hornet with a serial number of #1060 for sale that went I believe for the same price. Missed that one !So at least here in the UK Stonecreek is correct in his price assessment. If you could post pictures I would be interested in seeing them. Mine is the left handed safety.

I hope this helps, and all the best with your L46 Hornet, I really enjoy mine.

Rowdy

8. mangostamp

mangostamp 1 hunter

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Thanks again Stonecreek,

Yes I am preparing our living trust and am trying to place value on such items.

True- the gun will be in my posession while I live because of a great deal of sentimental value.

I certainly appreciate your guidance in the matter of acquiring magazines, and with regard to the serial number.

mangostamp

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Mango: There is a 6-round magazine being offered on Gunbroker at the moment. It is, of course, not factory, but most of the aftermarket magazines I've run across have fit and functioned just fine.

Rowdy: In corresponding with Jim in Sweden we've noticed that the smaller caliber Sakos tend to be higher in the U.S. and lower in Europe, whereas the larger calibers seem to be just the opposite. I'm not sure what causes this apparent price phenomenon. Part of it may be that many more L-46's in .222 were imported to the U.S. than the Hornets, Bees, and especially the .25-20 which is so scarce as to be nearly mythical in the U.S. Therefore, those last three calibers may be somewhat more common in Europe than in the U.S.

10. mangostamp

mangostamp 1 hunter

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    thanks again I'll see if I can get in there and buy it.

11. mangostamp

mangostamp 1 hunter

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Mine is the left handed safety also. I have seventeen photos. Is there a view you would like to see specifically?

12. mangostamp

mangostamp 1 hunter

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    I see four magazines on Gunbroker for .22 Hornet but nothing specific to Sako. I wouldn't know what would fit.

Thanks again though!

13. mangostamp

mangostamp 1 hunter

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    I did find the six round magazine for $50.

I tried to contact the seller to inquire about the fit, but my new account with Gunbroker was not activated so it looks like I might miss the opportunity.

Thanks again for your assistance.

14. L61R

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    mangostamp!
    Sorry for me being Off Topic!!!
    Stone!
    I just couldnxB4t resist your "bet"!:angel2:
    And to be perfectly honest itxB4s both. I have read about him somewhere, maybe a Finnmark letter or an article, but I also did remember your earlier posts mentioning mr Timmerman.
    And you donxB4t owe me anything! On the contrary!!
    But I must admit I am a bit scared by the term payoff!:monkey:
    Jim

15. L61R

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Stone!
    You are absolutely right about the smaller calibers being cheap over here.
    A friend just bought a very nice L46 .25-20 for roughly $350. Including quite a lot of ammo!
    Jim

16. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    AAAAARRRRGGHHHHHH! I'd rather be waterboarded than hear of outrageous bargains like that which I don't have access to!

17. mangostamp

mangostamp 1 hunter

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Dear Stonecreek,
    I went ahead and ordered two six round clips from Gunclips thinking I had an L46 rifle.
    The clips don't fit my gun which is a .22 Hornet. So now I have learned - I think- that the L46 is a .222.
    My current research seems to indicate that clips for the .22 Hornet I have, are either non existent or extremely hard to find.
    In my current abysmally ignorant condition ( with regard to Sako firearms) I am not sure I am pursuing the correct item when I ask for a .22 Hornet clip for My Sako.
    In your spare time, could you shed any more light on my situation?
    Respectfully,
    Mango

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    mangostamp,

You just have to find someone who has a Hornet specific magazine and not try too much guess-work buying items just because they are for the L46.

Like most of us, you may just need to sit it out and jump on one when it comes up. I know there are guys here who have more than one, but they will not part with them for love or money, although I know that waterboarding WILL work..

Please put your loction in the "signature" box in your profile and hit "save". Then we'll know where you are, basically, and that helps in the exchange of items that are customs comtrolled.

Thanks,

S-A

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    mangostamp,

PM L61R and ask him if you can post in the wanted section before you reach your 25 post minimum.

S-A

20. mangostamp

mangostamp 1 hunter

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    S-A
    I am in Reno, Nevada USA
    Thanks for the insight into my problem.
    Seems like there might be a market for a smooth acting reproduction of this item, eh?
    Mangostamp