• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Anyone own a Dickson-Howa Golden Bear?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Bill: Welcome to the forum!

I'm intrigued that someone else has some experience with the .308-length Howa Golden Bear. I'm equally intrigued that Charles Daly was apparently, at least at some point, involved or potentially involved with their distribution. The D-H .308 which I own has no Charles Daly markings, only "Dickson-Howa" and "Golden Bear". It has skipline checkering and rosewood contrasting grip cap and fore end that mimic the Sako Deluxe stock, but it has no floorplate engraving on its aluminum floorplate and has a plastic buttplate instead of a rubber pad like a Sako Deluxe. It is quite clearly a Sako-inspired design, but equally clearly unique is not a direct copy of any existing Sako. Ironically, being just a tad longer and larger in diameter than the L579 it would have been a perfect action for the Short Magnums like the .300 WSM, etc. It was just 30 years or so too early for them.

This one sounds identical to the one you're talking about, unless yours is a flat top. This one was round with four holes drilled and tapped. No dove tails. I don't remember if the checkering was skipline, but it had the rosewood grip cap with a circular inlay, and the rosewood forend cap as well. It also had jeweled bolt and the L-579 delux I was comparing it to did not. The L-579 had a diamond in the grip cap. Some knuckle head had poorly refinished the stock and did a bad job of screwing an fitting a pachmyer recoil pad. It didn't say golden bear or Dickson anywhere on it. Didn't have a model or a name. Just "prototype serial# 0008", "made in japan" and "Howa" on one side "Charles Daly" on the other. It wasn't until I tried to learn what that gun was that I heard of a Golden Bear.

Last edited:
My .308 D-H has regular Sako dovetails on the top of the receiver. It has a very high-polished blue, perhaps even as highly polished as a Deluxe Sako. The bottom metal is not engraved, but the anodizing on the floorplate matches the high-polish of the blue. The LH side of the barrel reads "Dickson Howa Golden Bear", while the right side of the receiver ring has the SN with an "A" prefix, four digits, and an "H" suffix. Unlike the three .30-06 examples I've owned or seen, the serial number is not repeated on the RH side of the barrel. The bolt is jeweled. The stock wood is rather highly figured with a high gloss finish. It's actually a pretty impressive rifle. No import mark, meaning it is pre-1969.

That sounds like a heck of a gun. The prototype seemed to have a painted floor-plate rather than anodized. It was rather disgusting considering the trouble they went to on the rest of the gun. The polish on the rest of it was every bit the equal of a Sako delux .

Guys- What does the trigger mechanism look like? Is it a copy of the Sako triggers on the pre-Garcia L61R?-Misako

Yes, the trigger also seems to be a copy. I have not attempted to tune my D-H triggers down to a super fine pull, but the way they are currently adjusted (2-3 lbs) they seem about as crisp as a Sako.

Thanks, Guys. Those two rifle are my favorite subjects when it comes to extra market "Sakos". I find it very interesting that they apparently used a cut down L61R designed three lug bolt instead of a L579 copy. More pictures would be appreciated when time allows.-Misako

I saw that one and sent a message to the seller asking if he would sell me a photocopy or scan of the owner's manual, but I've received no response. You would think that he would welcome the additional revenue, which would cost him virtually nothing.

I bought two of these brand new from Big-5 Sporting Goods in Garden Grove CA back in 1968. Consecutive serial numbers, and both '06. Both rifles shot .6" groups at 100 yards with 165gr Sierra HPBT. I traded one to Sam Fowler in 1969. In 1972 I bought a Sako Finnbear and the Golden Bear got retired. I bought a Heavy Sporter Douglas Supreme barrel, and years later chambered it in .280 Rem. I had attempted to have one of the guys in the Santiago Rifle & Revolver Club do this, but all he did was to loose some parts off my bolt. Had Tommy at Huntington's do the work in 1990. Turned out to be the best rifle in my collection. Shoots one hole at 100 yards with 160gr Sierra w 53gr of 4831. Same point of impact cold or hot.

It's a Sako in looks with the exception of the aluminum trigger guard & floor plate & magazine follower. Not quite as tight on the bolt closure... but a great shooter.

Hi, not sure if there is already a picture on the site , can some one post some pictures of a Dickson-Howa.... Or if I can find one on the site.... Good post .. Jay

Latest posts

Back