Sako Anyone ever seen one of these?

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Bdbseven, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Bdbseven

Bdbseven Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hello everyone, new member here. I recently purchased a Sako AV chambered in 458 Lott.
    I can’t seem to find any info on the 458 Lott. If anyone has any information that would be great. The serial number is: 8188888. It’s a synthetic stock with a tiger engraved on the top of the barrel and an elephant engraved on the bottom Of the cartridge removal plate. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    It appears you have a custom built rifle with a Sako AV action. Neither the stock nor the barrel are Sako from what I can see from the pictures. More detailed pics of the buttpad & barrel stampings would confirm.

Bdbseven likes this.
  3. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Pretty sure Hawkeye's correct.

Notice the "milled disc" following the action serial number. It's on all the A-series action only receivers I've seen over the years.

Bdbseven likes this.
  4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The .458 Lott uses a full length, straight-walled .375 H&H basic case to give it another .35" of case length and powder capacity over the .458 Winchester. This places its power somewhere between the .458 Winchester and the .460 Wby Mag. The 3.6" magazine of the Sako action allows the Lott to be built on an unmodified Sako, whereas actions like Mausers and Winchester 70s have to have their magazines lengthened to accommodate it.

Bdbseven likes this.
  5. Bdbseven

Bdbseven Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Thanks for your input! Here’s a couple more pictures that might help.

Attached Files:

6. Wayne

Wayne Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    Welcome, Thanks for the detailed pictures. It always helps us help you. I agree with everything stated by the professionals. You have a nice custom rifle based on a Sako AV action only, sold in the box. Barrel maker unknown, but the components look to be top shelf. Really nice express iron sights, with one up and two down. Also, 458 Lott in Sako not available; only calibers above .400 ever made were / are: 416 Rem Mag, 416 Rigby.450 Rigby, 458 Win Mag, 500 Jeffrey. Wayne

Bdbseven likes this.
  7. Bdbseven

Bdbseven Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Thank you for the info! I guess my big question is, is it safe to shoot 458 Lott rounds? Or should I use 458 Win Mag instead? Or can it shoot both?

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hmmm . . . I would guess that shooting .458 Win rounds in a Lott chamber would be safe, but I'm not sure about the exact body taper and whether there might be difficulty in chambering .458 Win rounds. The case would be 3/8ths of an inch short and the jump to the lands would be quite long, meaning that velocities would be somewhat lower compared to firing a .458 Win round in a regular chamber. There are lots of "Lott" guys on the Accurate Reloading forum, so you might pose the question there.

9. lord frith

lord frith Member

Country Flag:
    Belize
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Seat your bullets out as far as possible, but not beyond the last crimp groove.
    You will crimp, eh?
    Stephen

10. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Have to say, I absolutely love that tiger! What a stunner!