Sako Any info on my new/old Sako Mauser?

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Dkpack99, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Dkpack99

Dkpack99 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Hi, long time viewer, first time posting!

I picked up what I believe to be a Sako Mauser in 300H&H, is says Sako on the barrel and has a serial number of 1052xx. It’s been used, but is in great shape overall.

Any idea how old it is? How rare it is? What it’s worth? Thanks!

dave

Attached Files:

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Sako offered their long action on the FN Mauser action throughout the 1950's & into the early 60's until they introduced their own long action, the L61R. Your's is an earlier one as it has the wing safety on the rear of the bolt. The later ones had the Sako #4 trigger with an integral safety. I see them at gun shows on occasion & they are priced about like any other rifle built on a Mauser action. A 300 H&H would probably garner more interest from a Sako enthusiast than the more common rounds, but unfortunately your rifle has been fitted with a custom stock so it is not an original Sako rifle. I'm not sure that the action is the same as the ones Sako used from looking at the pictures, as well. Could be it's a put together gun & the only thing Sako about it is the barrel, but I'm no expert. Maybe others will chime in, but the safety lever looks different.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Exactly what Paulson said. Sako started using its #4 trigger on the Sako-Mausers around 1958, so if it is a Sako-Mauser it is earlier than that date.

Since it has a serial number on the barrel it is most likely originally a Sako-Mauser because Sako barrels sold for after-market installation would not have borne a serial number. If you wish, for $10 you can get the date of its manufacture from the Club's Factory Records Service. For $20 you can get both its date of manufacture and the shipping information on it (when, to whom shipped, etc.) You can get both of those plus a Letter of Authentication for $40, but since it is apparently in a replacement stock and unoriginal this might not be appropriate.

4. Dkpack99

Dkpack99 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Thanks for the quick responses guys. I have to say, I’m in love with my new rifle and fear it’s leading to a new addiction, Sako rifles.

This is a great site! I’m looking forward to learning a lot here about the different models. I’d especially like to track down an older, full-stocked model.

Dave

PS - I’ll definitely be paying it figure out the year and original shipping info. I find the history of guns to be very interesting!

5. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The safety looks like the one on my .30-06, which as far as I know is all original. There were a couple of different safeties fitted to these rifles over the ten years or so they were made.

6. Dkpack99

Dkpack99 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Thanks Ice Bear, I just paid for the make and initial shipping information, I’ll let you guys know what I find out! It sure is sweet!