Another Smelly One??

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Rocky, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    This one looks like a total put-together. A bitsa, our Australian friends would call it.

(1) The serial number appears to read "110726". If I am reading it correctly, this action belonged to a standard sporter .222 from 1966, not a .223 Deluxe from 1970 as the ad states.

(2) The bottom metal is from the late L461 or A-I period. It not only has the much later stylized fox engraving, but also the round floorplate tang and push-button magazine release. An L461 with a Bofors barrel would almost certainly have oak leaf engraving and a square tang/ s-release.

(3) The stock is one of the (very nice) reproductions that "custom shop" (AKA the Gunfather on TV) does and offers for around $1,500 per.

He has placed an A-I bottom metal on a 1966 L461 action with a Bofors .223 barrel screwed into it, done an excellent blue job on it, and put it all in a reproduction stock. He lists it as "like new". Well, it is a "new" gun in that every component on it is "new" to every other component. They've never been seen in this combination before, so they are "LIKE NEW!"

This guy continues to operate on the raw edge of legality, or at least legitimacy. He turns out a nice product, but unsuspecting buyers almost always believe that they are purchasing an original Sako from him. At some point in the future they're going to be very disappointed and indignant when they unknowingly attempt to pass it on as "original" and a more sophisticated potential buyer tells them the sad news.

kevinlg likes this.
  3. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I was pretty sure it stunk as far as anything being original to the rifle. I was just bringing it to our members attention.

But I didn't know that it was that much of a put together with all of the miss matched parts. Thanks Stone for pointing these things out.

He states, made in Finland. He needs to say, Montana Made.

douglastwo and FLT like this.
  4. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Good comment Rocky.

5. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Assembled in Montana.....corrected that for you.....

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Good one! Like the Brownings of the 1980s where the origin stamp read "Made in Belgium, Assembled in Portugal".